BNC/SMA adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
RS usually stocks an adapter CABLE with an SMA/M at one end and a BNC/F at the other end of a length of RG-174 mini co-axial cable that appears to be a couple feet long. It would be handy to hook up your portable scanner or HT to a base antenna without putting too much strain on the radio's SMA jack. The RS website has it backordered, not sure if it's in any of their stores. Retails for $15, here is stock number:
BNC Jack/SMA Plug Adapter Cable
Model: 19-043 | Catalog #: 19-043

I got some of the little metal adapters from an ebay vendor. There were lots of them when I looked last, just watch carefully for unusually high shipping charges from some vendors.

If you're going to get one for the `396 to use with a BNC antenna, then be sure to get an adapter that is:
SMA/Male (Plug) - to - BNC/Female (Jack). [Wait, if it's female, shouldn't it be "Jill"?]

Ebay had several types of adapters, so be sure to order one with the correct genders.

Good hunting.
\ Vern

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
yeah i had the same problem with radio shack but it was for a 90 degree elbow bnc ... it seems lately they dont have crap at the stores around here.. ebay worked for me..

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the info. I thought about ebay but I wanted other opinions first. I will try to find a vender that carries them. I have the one that came with the scanner but I like to have extra itmes here. I guess I'm a little strange.

maalox

mike_s104 said:
thanks for the info. I thought about ebay but I wanted other opinions first. I will try to find a vender that carries them. I have the one that came with the scanner but I like to have extra itmes here. I guess I'm a little strange.
grove has them 1800-438-8155

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe Tower Electronics, PL259.com has them.

What I did was bite the bullet and change the BNC connector on the antenna cable and crimped on the SMA model. Seems to have improved the reception - somewhat.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ofd8001 said:
I believe Tower Electronics, PL259.com has them.

What I did was bite the bullet and change the BNC connector on the antenna cable and crimped on the SMA model. Seems to have improved the reception - somewhat.

that was an idea too, but I wanted to not use the connector on the scanner so if I did some how damage the connector, I could change it out. if I were leaving it in one place, I would have done that. I use it at work, home and in the car.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Here's one that is similar to the one supplied by Uniden, but it's all black. Click here and it's the sixth one down from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.