BNN service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I presently am on 1RWN, primarily for the ability to select SPECIFIC incidents and geographical areas to be received, via their web-based system which I can control.

However, their ability to be "on top" of incidents seems to be lacking of late.

Awhile ago, I received a page regarding a major fire in my selected area, only to find out that the fire actually came in almost two hours earlier. A 1RWN dispatcher happened to be at the fire and, realizing that it hadn't gone out, sent out the late page from his cell phone from the scene, on the theory of "Better late than never."

It was a little embarrassing to call a fellow from my unit to see if he was going, only to have him say he was there already, and for some time.

I am considering moving over to BNN, but I am reluctant to have to give up the ability to select as stated above, including the time of day.

Is there any proposals being made at BNN to upgrade their system with a web-based selection system, and/or any other upgrades?

Thanks....

sfd901

BNN VS 1st Responder

BNN is way better. Ok all services occasionally get dupe pages, that happens because of over anxious dispatchers. The only and I repeat only plus for 1st Responder is the customer being able to at will set changes to what area they want the info from. 1st Responder although having those options listed for most of the country have minimal or no coverage. Pages are often late going out, inaccurate and or bogus! BNN has been around for a long time. They really need to spend some money to upgrade the customer ability to program their own areas. 1st Responder's coverage in NJ is horrible!, It's almost non existent in NYC. NO group is 100% but BNN is much closer than anynother service.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
BNN is way better. Ok all services occasionally get dupe pages, that happens because of over anxious dispatchers. The only and I repeat only plus for 1st Responder is the customer being able to at will set changes to what area they want the info from. 1st Responder although having those options listed for most of the country have minimal or no coverage. Pages are often late going out, inaccurate and or bogus! BNN has been around for a long time. They really need to spend some money to upgrade the customer ability to program their own areas. 1st Responder's coverage in NJ is horrible!, It's almost non existent in NYC. NO group is 100% but BNN is much closer than anynother service.

Your information is old. The First Responder coverage of NYC is pretty good!

sfd901

1st Responder

My info is 100% factual. I have been a dispatcher for both services over the years. I was also a senior dispatcher for 1stResponder. I left because of almost zero coverage in New Jersey. From Bergen county south and west there are only a handful of people dispatching. Most of them are high school age kids who have no idea what they are listening to. Believe me I used to interview potential dispatchers for 1st Responder. I cannot speak with knowledge of other states but I can for New JErsey and the 5 boros of NY.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
My info is 100% factual. I have been a dispatcher for both services over the years. I was also a senior dispatcher for 1stResponder. I left because of almost zero coverage in New Jersey. From Bergen county south and west there are only a handful of people dispatching. Most of them are high school age kids who have no idea what they are listening to. Believe me I used to interview potential dispatchers for 1st Responder. I cannot speak with knowledge of other states but I can for New JErsey and the 5 boros of NY.

I'm always surprised that people get this involved over which one is better. You like BNN, good for you!

Big thumbs up!

Your "facts" and my "facts" are different. Of course, I call my "facts", opinions.

Last edited:

NJC4850

13 scanners x 1000 channels per scanner = 13,000 channels for 1 persons brain to compute and comprehend, all while monitoring the phone, webview, text messages, nextel, instant messenger, multiple incidents going on (including the Cities of New York and Newark) ... darn that must be impressive!!! (or is it overkill or just for show?)
There is one lonely guy who sits in that chair and monitors all the scanners. and from what I hear they don't even have any windows....

I have used BNN, and tried 1RWN. BNN is by far a better service. They get more calls, have a better reporting network, and they give good updates. Individual reporters can put out incidents without the desk guy's knowledge, which can be good because it doesn't tie up the desk guy who is monitoring all the other radio channels. The downside to this is occasionally you get a dupe job, an occasional spelling error, or erroneous information.

1RWN is a decent system too. much more structured than BNN, much more customizable also. you can select what incidents you want to receive. I was a JR reporter with them for over a month, sent numerous jobs (which were sent to the paging system), and kept getting jerked around when I wanted to become a regular dispatcher and receive assignments on my phone. Also, their web interface required certain ports to be opened, and some commercial networks didn't allow them. So I said screw it, and decided to stick with BNN.

Another perk of BNN is the web interface. definitely better than 1RWN, accessible from anywhere. Also, BNN is working on a new interface, where users can select what incidents they receive and from what locations.

NYC coverage and Northern NJ coverage is definitely better with BNN. their Desk people cover better, and I think their reporter network in better in the NY metro area.

Status
Not open for further replies.