BNSF Call for railfan help

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaljim6

I don't frequent this forum but I couldn't resist replying to this particular thread. Maybe I'm paranoid, but BNSF will end up with a list of law-abiding, well-intentioned citizens ... that they can turn into suspects if anything happens. Sounds a lot like gun registration, doesn't it?

If this should move to the Tavern, be my guest.

MarkWestin

BNSF is the merger of the Burlington Northern and the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe railroads (railways?). Locomotives and cars used to have "Burlington Northern Santa Fe" lettered on them, but lately, they only have "BNSF" on them.

Mark

BN fan from Maine

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
True, so if you are going to sabatoge a train - don't sign up for this program. Otherwise, you're just fine...

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Anyone know if any of the other Class I's (like CSX, my home RR) have a program like this?

Just to update: I sent a message via the CSX website to a CSX media/PR guy - I'll post the answer should I get one.

Last edited:

electricsheep

rdale said:
True, so if you are going to sabatoge a train - don't sign up for this program. Otherwise, you're just fine...

The inverse is also valid here.
If you are going to sabotage a train, sign up for the program, it's a good cover story.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I don't feel comfortable giving my name out to a company . The only contact I ever had with a special agent was when he pulled up along side of me, gave me his card and never asked for ID or anything, just wanted me to keep an eye out if I saw anything. That's how great PR is handled I think.

ACDCROCKER

I'll sign up if I get free stuff ;) haha. But if I lived in the area BNSF, i would sign up and go into the yards of BNSF and take a few shots and have the exuse " I'm here protecting your ass against the rag heads" lol, just kidding. But If CSX did I would maybe do it. It's not like I get enough toll free calls. The Gov't knows everything about us, what are we really hiding though? But as Maergers, I think CSX and NS are next, just like BNSF did. Hmmm CSNSX "chessie Seaboard Norfolk southern united"

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
ACDCROCKER said:
But as Maergers, I think CSX and NS are next, just like BNSF did. Hmmm CSNSX "chessie Seaboard Norfolk southern united"

The Feds would never allow a CSX/NS merger in todays environment, the entire eastern half of the nation would have no competition.

The next wave of mergers will almost certainly be one of the 2 eastern roads (CSX and NS) getting busy with a western road (UP or BNSF). CN & CP will likely end up with the merged roads.

My best guess is that UP, CSX and CP will end up together and NS, BNSF and CN wll be the other company. Once all the dust settles certain lines will need to be swapped or rights allowed to make sure that both super roads serve most regions, and then some other regionals will need to find a home and new regionals will pop up.

Initiatives like the BNSF Citizen Corp will likely be forgotten once the merger talk starts again.

There is a great article in the current Trains magazine about the back story to the Conrail merger and eventual split-up. Read this and one can see how these deals are worked out and for what reasons.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
N9JIG said:
Buy Norfolk Southern Fast
Big New Sante Fe
Or if you may happen to have worked for them at the time of the merger... "Burlington Northern Santa F(Expletive Deleted)" I had *several* good friends, with good seniority no less, end up getting shafted then. (However most of them have discovered that they may have ended up getting the better deal than some others who were kept on and now you can hear some of the retainees using the same`translation'. {WAN GRIN!} Sometimes it makes one wonder just what passes for thought in management at times.)

On maybe a better train of thought... I don't know if I've mentioned it here or not but, right now we, my family and I, are attempting to sell what remains of our family farm here in CO and moving on to, hopefully, greener pastures. The place we are doing the majority of our looking in just happens to be up around the Wheatland, Wyo area. Basically right in the middle of one of BNSF's more interestingly `active' areas. One of the places we have been most actively interested in is situated such that I'll have pretty much of a straight shot N/S, up/dn, a fairly active section of their line through there along with a fairly clear Westward overlook of the yards, as it may be, on the Eastern side of Wheatland itself. (Clear enough that from the upper Westside hayloft windows of the barn I can just about view almost all of the yards with only having to use either a pair of binocs or small spotting scope for the extremities. [I'm seriously considering setting up a decent CCTV camera with a remote control mount and zoom lens along with a scanner and putting them online if possible if we *do* manage to get the place. Imagine being able to log on to our website and have online remote control for seeing what is in and passing through a microcosm of a major rail line whilst sitting home at one's computer someplace entirely different. It's not probably all that new an idea but I think it would be a lot of fun doing it for those railfans who probably might not ever get a chance to actually physically visit. (SWMBO, I, and our children, have also batted around the idea of maybe also providing a place for other railfans to `hang their hat' if they are ever out our way along maybe also going on excursions, might even get in some `chasing' piled together into a 4X4, or two, if it strikes our fancy, around the area. I grew up in Wyoming and even after all the years spent down here in `The People's Republic of Californrado... err... Colorado' I've discovered that I still have a tad bit more than a few `connections' up there. Much to my amazment! As long as we don't pull any dad blamed foole `furiner' stunts and generally behaves our selves everyone to whom I've had a chance to have spoken to about this have been well disposed to letting us `have our little fun'. [It's just like going hunting and fishing around there. Generally all one has to do it take the time to stop and ask, listen carefully, and then follow through and do one's part. It's quite amazing what just being `sociable' can do even these days. Despite what tales one hears here and there olde fashioned `Western Hospitality' still exists. After all... We, even when we are actually living there, are quite proud of our State and like to show others why. {VB GRIN!}])])

Back on subject... While I can somewhat understand some of the quibbles that have been voiced about the subject topic I can fairly easily see just how it can help both of us. While there may be `the devil in the details' as has been mentioned I feel that there is quite a bit more to be gained for all and for us railfans a great opportunity to put a polish on our image. (Which, unfortunately in some places, has become tarnished by a small few yahoos. [I hate to hear the venom in some people's voices when they say `foamer' in respect to railfans who usually only really are just quite passionate about their chosen hobby. This is not to say that there *aren't* a small minority that deserve said venom but for the most part they are usually quite far and few between. Frankly I suspect that even the most reserved railfans are `foamers' about *some* aspect of this hobby from time to time. I know that I can `foam', sometimes more than just a little, about certain things I happen to greatly like about railroading. Just ask SWMBO and the children, {VB GRIN!}, they'll give you chapter and verse about them.]) This might also be a way for us to also `give something back', maybe as simple as "Thanks!", to not just the RRs themselves but to the people `on the ground (or rails)'? I do knopw that *I* am going to look a lot more into this and will probably end up signing up.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
hulka said:
How long does it take them to reply after you sign up for it? Anyone sign up yet?
It took them about five seconds to do a background check on me and send me a link to print out my own official cute little ID card.

hulka

I guess I will have to redo mine. It has been ~ 5 days and I have not received and e-mail like it stated you would.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
hulka said:
I guess I will have to redo mine. It has been ~ 5 days and I have not received and e-mail like it stated you would.
The email will be from resource.protection@bnsf.com (if you need to set a white-list or spam setting) and the link will bring up a card that looks like this, with your info on it...

Attachments

• BNSFidcard.jpg
    BNSFidcard.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,329
Status
Not open for further replies.