Bnsf Rwy Barstow R/F's

Status
Not open for further replies.

djgrooven

I just noticed that the database was updated for railroads BNSF Barstow ops. The NXDN or VNB(very narrow band) mode used is not the same channel assignment, but it is the same RF. Also noted that the diesel service is on NXDN mode. The Barstow Diesel Service still operates on fmn mode. Tx of AAR 007 and Rx of AAR 082. Here is an attachment of the FAP (frequency assignment plan)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 616

PJH

Premium Subscriber
What I have noticed lately, are people hearing data burst and assuming its NXDN or TRBO and submitting it. I am not local to Barstow anymore (as you are) so I cannot comment, but no one has really gone "live" with NXDN in any wide area use on the RR's.. as far as the Class 1's are concerned.

Amtrak is playing with it out east, but nothing has been cutover.

kma371

QRT
I just noticed that the database was updated for railroads BNSF Barstow ops. The NXDN or VNB(very narrow band) mode used is not the same channel assignment, but it is the same RF. Also noted that the diesel service is on NXDN mode. The Barstow Diesel Service still operates on fmn mode. Tx of AAR 007 and Rx of AAR 082. Here is an attachment of the FAP (frequency assignment plan)

Well if its not correct, please let me know what needs to be changed. this update came from a submission and didn't have any doubts to its accuracy.

Thanks

TelcomJunkie

It came from my submission. The channel was a 'my bad' when I submitted it, I didn't have the VNB chart handy.

Either way, the Barstow DSF has space on the new NXDN system. If they haven't fully transferred off the analog repeater, then submit that data. Last time I was out there DSF was using the NXDN system and complaining about it.

All the data I provided was additions, not removals of anything. The only data for Barstow yard that was there prior is the two FMN frequencies currently listed.

TelcomJunkie

What I have noticed lately, are people hearing data burst and assuming its NXDN or TRBO and submitting it. I am not local to Barstow anymore (as you are) so I cannot comment, but no one has really gone "live" with NXDN in any wide area use on the RR's.. as far as the Class 1's are concerned.

Amtrak is playing with it out east, but nothing has been cutover.

I've said it a number of times here before, but BNSF has deployed NXDN to several yards. Off the top of my head there are NXDN systems in Denver, Memphis, Argentine Yard, KC LPC, Barstow and Los Angeles. It's not fully utilized in all those locations, but the systems are in place and are active.

djgrooven

It came from my submission. The channel was a 'my bad' when I submitted it, I didn't have the VNB chart handy.

Either way, the Barstow DSF has space on the new NXDN system. If they haven't fully transferred off the analog repeater, then submit that data. Last time I was out there DSF was using the NXDN system and complaining about it.

All the data I provided was additions, not removals of anything. The only data for Barstow yard that was there prior is the two FMN frequencies currently listed.

This is the info that I have. Bnsf STARC Channels

Diesel - Tx 457(161.34) Rx 307(160.225)
City - Tx 469(161.43) Rx 331(160.395)
M&S - Tx 475(161.475) Rx 353(160.56)

Analog
1-Spot - Tx 097(161.566) Rx 022(160.44)
DSF - Tx 007(160.215) Rx 082(161.34)

The barstow diesel service NXDN repeater is not working and they are having problems with the cab radios on that repeater. The city( car inspector train yard) isn't used on the day shift hours because they do not like it. The day shift carman use the 1spot repeater. I do know that the M&S and CITY repeaters are up and running though. I hope this info helps a bit.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I've said it a number of times here before, but BNSF has deployed NXDN to several yards. Off the top of my head there are NXDN systems in Denver, Memphis, Argentine Yard, KC LPC, Barstow and Los Angeles. It's not fully utilized in all those locations, but the systems are in place and are active.

I have a buddy that I hired out with who works in Denver, and unless its specific to a craft, he hasn't heard anything NXDN and still carries a 2180...

Not saying that its not there, but its not in "Widespread" use as I indicated, mostly due to lack of equipment in the field that is setup for NXDN. Its localized if anything. Plenty of cab radios that are not setup, optioned or capable of NXDN in the field (though plenty of JEM's out there, just not enabled based on my experienced).

Until the waysides are cut over and actually used over the road, its still a toy. My contact over at Amtrak has stated the same thing, even in their good radio coverage area's. No one likes the high BER rates when your walking a 15,000 ft train in rolling hills or in mountain territory. Hell, you can't even do that now in analog.

djgrooven

Analog

The barstow diesel service NXDN repeater is not working and they are having problems with the cab radios on that repeater. The city( car inspector train yard) isn't used on the day shift hours because they do not like it. The day shift carman use the 1spot repeater. I do know that the M&S and CITY repeaters are up and running though. I hope this info helps a bit.

I had a typo.. Channel 307 is 160.215 mhz

djgrooven

Analog

The Carmen (CITY) channel is up and running as of this morning. Also the M&S channel has a lot of activity

Status
Not open for further replies.