• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Boafeng GT-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

amccullers

A local volunteer fire dept bought some GT-3 WP for new member use. They bought the cable and software to go with them, but it is in Chinese and I can't figure out how to download the software.

I'm familiar with programming Kenwood and Moto's, does the GT-3 support two tone paging? They want to use it like a pager also and have it open up when their department gets a call.

Thanks
Andrew

teufler

Try Chirp software, its in English. Also when the GT3 software opens up, you see on the top left, a bunch of question marks, go to the 2nd from the right, click, then you see an English tab, , presto you are in English, everytime you use vip software, you will need to repeat this step. I don't think the gt-3 does paging, 2 tone or 5 tone, you got to go up in price to get those features. Here on RR, several will say the radios are not "duty" enough for firemans active work but the radios will work with alittle care. They are not water resistant or water proof but if kept out of the elements, they should last. The antennas are fragile but again alittle care, no problem. Also make sure the radios have the same firmware so you can do one and then load from radio to radio, if not, you will have to do separate radio files for each radio, Stand corrected, you can tale a shower with the radio so heavy water resistant.The radio doers not have the capability for two tone or 5 tone activation. But if the department would use a sub tone when they dio a call out, users could program the radio to remain mute unless the proper code or tone was received.Not he same as two tone but a sub tone. The net result could be the same. Their radio would be on mute until the correct sun tone was received.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

The gt3, or any other Baofeng, will NOT support 2tone or any other selcall system.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

SCPD

QRT
You will find better luck utilizing the latest chirp rather then the Chinese software.

While some may disagree I would not allow these to be used on our uhf or vhf conventional side systems specially for fire ground or primary means to relie on.

While some will say funds are issue there is grants to be had or monies elsewhere specially if that county commission or admin was to be informed of several issues and legal problems down road in life or death if those failed and did not meet specifications and requirements. While it may be remote you never know.

I am not discouraging the use or purchase but allot should be considered. That is someone else's call and not on my back.

RCA makes a affordable p25 compliant portable and mobile models for public safety and will send one to a legit agency if they request to demo one free of charge for a period and offering deals with every so many purchased. Icom, kenwood, BK Relm, are a few to consider with lower costing public safety grade equipment who will also have deals if ordered in contract or bulk with agreed terms. Those have models offering mdc, QCII or other features some have already asked you of the baofeng isn't offering.

I know it always about money but consider the costs of 35 to 45 everytime a unit is needing replaced, antennas, due to minimal water damage. In reality the term "if cared for" doesn't have a stance per say in public safety. Radios will be knocked, dropped, scuffed, hit hard, receive weather damage and use in fire for sure meet water whether intentional or non intentional specially if used packing out in a active structure or training. It will also in fire see increased heat temperatures packing out in a structure.

Not trying to be a doom gloom but pinching pennies isn't always the best option if it may in long run cost more eventually in upkeep and replacement or safety issues. While one can take the step to care for the radio ideally in public safety this is the last thing on ones mind in a fire or other situation to stop and think I can't get it too wet, I can't drop it or knock it too much. They do make public safety grade radios in baofeng models or so they advertise. I never used one of those but have messed with a few basic models and I wouldn't allow them to be used.

Delta33

A local volunteer fire dept bought some GT-3 WP for new member use. They bought the cable and software to go with them, but it is in Chinese and I can't figure out how to download the software.

I'm familiar with programming Kenwood and Moto's, does the GT-3 support two tone paging? They want to use it like a pager also and have it open up when their department gets a call.

Thanks
Andrew
ASK your Chief, Will he come to Your FUNERAL when that radio fails due to Heat or a Drop causing you NO way to call for help when a ceiling truss pins you in a structure Fire? CHEAP, CRAP has No place in Public Safety services, budget or not!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
GT-3WP is not the same as the GT-3, and IS NOT supported by CHIRP, and probably won't be, because it doesn't allow the firmware version of the radio to be read.

I have 5 of them.

They are reasonably waterproof; I've taken them kayaking without issue, but haven't tried submerging them for extended periods of time. They are more rugged than the non-waterproof Baofengs like the UV-5R and friends.

They do not support any sort of paging function.

Status
Not open for further replies.