Bob Aune & Don Starr

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0aa

I've been around scanners for a long, long time. I've always enjoyed them. Many other people have contributed to my scanning capabilities. Countless designers, manufacturers, distributors & salespeople have helped immensely.

However, no one has helped me more than these two gentlemen:

Bob Aune and his ProScan "scanner programming and use" software,

Don Starr and his StarrSoft "scanner programming and use" software.

I won't buy a scanner unless it can be programmed by one or both of their respective software applications.

Both of these men are geniuses. Their talent, tenacity and time devoted to their respective software products are greatly appreciated by me and untold thousands of other people.

I realize there are other scanner programming and usage alternatives, but I am extremely pleased with the ProScan and StarrSoft products.

Thank you, Bob and Don, for your tremendous contributions to scanner programming and monitoring.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Use both myself but as soon as,I buy a new scanner I rtfm and program the systems I want by hand.Just so I can understand the scanner better.Dont get me wrong I use the software a lot after I am done hand programming.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

rwier

I've been around scanners for a long, long time. I've always enjoyed them. Many other people have contributed to my scanning capabilities. Countless designers, manufacturers, distributors & salespeople have helped immensely.

However, no one has helped me more than these two gentlemen:

Bob Aune and his ProScan "scanner programming and use" software,

Don Starr and his StarrSoft "scanner programming and use" software.

I won't buy a scanner unless it can be programmed by one or both of their respective software applications.

Both of these men are geniuses. Their talent, tenacity and time devoted to their respective software products are greatly appreciated by me and untold thousands of other people.

I realize there are other scanner programming and usage alternatives, but I am extremely pleased with the ProScan and StarrSoft products.

Thank you, Bob and Don, for your tremendous contributions to scanner programming and monitoring.

Memories are fading fast, lol, but I'm guessing a ditto is in order!!!

k0aa

Use both myself but as soon as,I buy a new scanner I rtfm and program the systems I want by hand.Just so I can understand the scanner better.Dont get me wrong I use the software a lot after I am done hand programming.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
You are very talented to be able to program trunking and P25 systems manually. I do well with conventional channel programming, but I would have great difficulty programming our Colorado P25 systems by hand. Thanks for your reply.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I have used Don Starr's software on my PRO 652 and I am very happy with it. I didn't need tech support from him, but found it to be very easy to use and well written.

marksmith

You are very talented to be able to program trunking and P25 systems manually. I do well with conventional channel programming, but I would have great difficulty programming our Colorado P25 systems by hand. Thanks for your reply.
While any more, with full databases on SD cards, I mainly (but not completely) pull data from the database and build favorites lists.

But prior to that, manually programming trunked systems was pretty normal for most people really into the hobby. And having done it that way for a decade before databases, it definitely gives you a better education about how the radio works.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

rwier

I'm with you on the memory part. That's probably one reason I enjoy using software to program my scanners. (grin)

Yep, I don't have enough hours left to spend any time experimenting with "manual" programming!

rwier

And a "time spend" that doesn't bother me at all is an attempt to assist a "noob". If it involves the Uniden HP series, using Sentinel, I can throw together a test FL in the attached zipped .hpe format for a town/city/county that I have never heard of in less than 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes from the time I decide to respond to the post to the time the response with the attachment shows up on the Forum!!!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Win500 - The control/monitoring via Internet is fantastic and I use it almost daily.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Isn't it amazing the additional versatility that feature-rich software adds to an already sophisticated scanner?

I really enjoy ProScan and WIN500 software.

Thanks k0aa, Much appreciated. I'm glad you like it and I'm glad to do it.

CanesFan95

Another thumbs up for ProScan. I Cannot imagine all the knowledge, time, skill, and work it takes to write software like this.

Scan125

Another thumbs up for ProScan. I Cannot imagine all the knowledge, time, skill, and work it takes to write software like this.

Could not agree more. I'm the author of Scan125 (free) and I can tell you when starting from scratch it is a HARD SLOG to develop something that us usable, appreciated by customers AND adds something "the others don't do/have".

I think ProScan has a lovely "graphics" scanner user interface representing the actual scanner controls. I was going to Email Bob for some hints but thought he will have enough on his hands without me bothering him.

Generally speaking all programs (especially for hardware) have to have good/adequate usability (including filtering typical/dumb user errors), information/help, provide the critical functions people want, etc. and good support. A quality "feel good interface" is the icing on the cake that makes paid up users more pleased with their purchase.

It is quite common for some/many professional programs to fall short of the mark which is why it is so important for everyone to "sing praises" where due and critique/complain.

So to Bob Aune & Don Starr keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.