Bobcat Incident: Cogswell Reservoir, W fork San Gabriel River

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teotwaki

I am hearing simplex activity on R5 TAC 6 - 168.2375 where they are referencing Highway 39, Crystal Lake, etc.

Tower5153

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, it looks like the Angeles is not using any tac or command NIFC frequencies. The federal air to ground is in the NIFC system and I think they have to have NIFC authorization for the V fires, but otherwise they are doing it all local. The air tactics looks like one of those federal unused frequencies in the fire's area type of assignment.

You’re correct, they are using local frequencies for the incident. The VFIRE frequencies are not assigned by NIFC, they are CAL OES frequencies. The ordering point (GACC) and Comm Unit Leader coordinate their use.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
128.425 rotor victor north side of fire (valley floor)

All I can hear from Ventura is Air Attack at 16,500 feet per FlightRadar24.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
You’re correct, they are using local frequencies for the incident. The VFIRE frequencies are not assigned by NIFC, they are CAL OES frequencies. The ordering point (GACC) and Comm Unit Leader coordinate their use.

Thanks for the point of authorization for the VFire freqs. They aren't really Cal OES frequencies though are they? They are in the NIFOG and a huge number of them were allocated at the same time the feds went narrowband in 2005, including the lower state/local portion of VHF High. I think the DHS or FEMA holds the original authorization or has coordination authority or am I incorrect there also. They are nothing unique to California, like CLEMARS or now called CA LAW 1. 2 . . . That is why I think there is some sort of federal coordination or maybe the FCC does so in licensing the frequencies.

Tower5153

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the point of authorization for the VFire freqs. They aren't really Cal OES frequencies though are they? They are in the NIFOG and a huge number of them were allocated at the same time the feds went narrowband in 2005, including the lower state/local portion of VHF High. I think the DHS or FEMA holds the original authorization or has coordination authority or am I incorrect there also. They are nothing unique to California, like CLEMARS or now called CA LAW 1. 2 . . . That is why I think there is some sort of federal coordination or maybe the FCC does so in licensing the frequencies.
You’re correct, they are on all kinds of interoperability lists. They were originally called White Fire 1, 2, and 3 in the OES/FIRESCOPE frequency world prior to 2005. After the Blue Ribbon Committee was put together to study issues with the 2003 Firestorm, it was decided that a major component of the issues that arose were communication based. The OES/FIRESCOPE White Fire frequencies were re-named VFIRE and added to the interoperability plans on a large scale basis for units coming to, and operating outside of California. The original question was whether they went through NIFC to use these on incidents. The answer is no, NIFC doesn’t control the VFIRE frequencies in CA.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thank your for posting!
What's the dividing line between "north" and "south"?
I have the scanner running at home, but I'm mostly not looking at frequencies. But one thing I find amusing is Division "Mike-Mike". Whenever he comes on the air, it reminds me of the Hump Day Camel Commercial from Gieco.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Thank your for posting!
I have the scanner running at home, but I'm mostly not looking at frequencies. But one thing I find amusing is Division "Mike-Mike". Whenever he comes on the air, it reminds me of the Hump Day Camel Commercial from Gieco.

Quick off topic comment, that Gieco camel commercial was one of Gieco's best.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for posting! If I can accomplish it, I want to compile all the Command 13 plus frequencies to update the Wiki for the NIFC system. I need to update the frequencies as well as document where and when they've been used. I'm quite familiar as to how these are assigned and the short term nature of the freq authorizations.

Tower5153

Premium Subscriber
Thank your for posting!
The dividing line is ROUGHLY the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2). This should help:32DB4497-2E6A-476A-902E-7AC655C6C860.jpeg

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
2:35 Announcement that CMD 32 will be taken out-of-service due to continued random short bursts of repeater keying. Utilize CMD 74 or 31.

cmdrwill

Sounds like detectives using 168.2375 simplex car to car in the East Pasadena county area. Does not seem to be fire related.

Status
Not open for further replies.