Bodie, CA SP Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboPinky

I’m up visiting the Mammoth Lakes area, and have my freqs (HAM and scanner) in order for this area, but plan on spending the day in Bodie and was wondering what I might want to listen to besides the MURS I’ll be using among my group. I know this is a CA State Park, but can not seem to come up with freqs they would be using in Bodie.

I don’t think(?) this would be BLM – 166.875 (136.5)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Radio_Lady

I’m up visiting the Mammoth Lakes area, and have my freqs (HAM and scanner) in order for this area, but plan on spending the day in Bodie and was wondering what I might want to listen to besides the MURS I’ll be using among my group. I know this is a CA State Park, but can not seem to come up with freqs they would be using in Bodie.

I don’t think(?) this would be BLM – 166.875 (136.5)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
About seven or eight years ago on the way to Yosemite we visited Bodie, and they were using the State Parks "White" frequency, 859.9375, but not saying much at all.

BoboPinky

Thank you! That gives me something to go on. I'm sure radio chatter is pretty quite in Bodie! :)

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
859.9375. Robert units are rangers, and Sam units if you hear any are supervising rangers. If you hear Mono-One, that's Mono County Sheriff's dispatch.

SCPD

QRT
Bodie and the Mono Lake State Tufa Reserve use White (859.9375 DPL 115) and the Queen Bee repeater located on the south side of the Bodie Bowl rim. It is more or less due south of the entrance kiosk. Dispatching is provided by "Northern" near Folsom Lake. The Queen Bee repeater is not directly tied into the state's microwave, but there is a remote base on Conway Summit that accomplishes that.

I just monitored them Saturday when we went with a bunch of folks to the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. I'm not sure if Mono 1 even has access to the state park system anymore through their console. I need to move my scanner antenna to a different part of the roof and replace the coax. With newer coax I will be able to copy Queen Bee from Mammoth once again, especially when considering I know have a PSR-600 for a base station.

As a side note, the Whoa Nellie Deli is located inside the Mobile Mart on SR 120 just up from the 395 junction. A well known chef from Mammoth opened the place. It is open from late April to late October. For those who like gourmet food or "phoo phoo" food as I call it, this is a place you need to check out. My wife and a bunch of the out of town skier friends we have really like to go there. I don't care for the food or the price of it, as I'm not impressed with gourmet food. I tried to order just pizza or a plain turkey sandwich on a sourdough bun and I was met with a very snobby response from the person at the cash register. I complained to the owner and chef. The next time I came back the same thing happened and the person at the cash register came to our table and tried to convince me that I was ordering the wrong food and that my choice of food was not what it should have been, with my selections being on the menu for little kids only. I told him to mind his own business and that I will order what I want and to not question my orders again. The same thing happened the third time I came back so I will not set foot in there again. I go into Lee Vining and order my dinner or lunch from the Mono Cone, which serves up excellent burgers and other 1950's walk up order type food. I get my order to go and take it back to the Whoa Nellie Deli and eat it outside. My wife buys me a drink from their fountain and everyone eats outside. I'm technically a customer since the drink came from their fountain, but no one has said anything to me yet. If they get rid of that snob of a cashier (he equates himself to a waiter in a fine restaurant) I might go back inside. If you like the type of food served up in the Whoa Nellie Deli, you need to check the place out, and don't let my experience sway you. I just don't happen to like phoo phoo food and they charge $13.00 for a hamburger and fries that is dry and tasteless. I can get a far better burger and fries at the Mono Cone anyway, plus have a choice of tacos and chicken dishes. The Whoa Nellie Deli has a band playing outside on a stage many nights of the week and the "Flashbacks", a local band from Mammoth, was there Saturday night playing lots of surfing music and other 60's hits. The football coach from Mammoth High School organized this band many years ago and it is always nice to listen to the music I listened to while in junior and senior high school.

If you want a hamburger, soft ice cream with various flavors of dips, or other good sandwiches, plus great shakes/malts (they have about 20 flavors) then stay on 395 and go to the Mono Cone. Everything is made fresh from scratch after you order. You won't be disappointed as the food tastes just a good as it was in the 50's, before the advent of chain fast food places that rely on "consistent mediocrity" for their success.

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I just monitored them Saturday when we went with a bunch of folks to the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. I'm not sure if Mono 1 even has access to the state park system anymore through their console. I need to move my scanner antenna to a different part of the roof and replace the coax. With newer coax I will be able to copy Queen Bee from Mammoth once again, especially when considering I know have a PSR-600 for a base station.

If you want a hamburger, soft ice cream with various flavors of dips, or other good sandwiches, plus great shakes/malts (they have about 20 flavors) then stay on 395 and go to the Mono Cone. Everything is made fresh from scratch after you order. You won't be disappointed as the food tastes just a good as it was in the 50's, before the advent of chain fast food places that rely on "consistent mediocrity" for their success.

Hey Fred-

I know MCSD used to access the park radio via the fourth console position in dispatch, the same console was used for all the "oddball" freqs, i.e. Yosemite, MWTC, jail, SAR, etc that weren't in the regular scan lists on the other consoles. Times have indeed changed since then, but I'd think they'd still want to be able to talk back and forth if the need arose...We always kept the volume on the Bodie channel all the way down so as not to have to listen to the rangers.

BTW, if you like Mono Cone, try Jolly Cone in Bridgeport! I never had any problems at WND (or Tioga Mart itself) but then, I was always in uniform. Just depressed I never got into the trapeze thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.