body mic question (moved from general discussion forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdan

This ones to you Marshall (or anyone else who can answer it). Thanks for the invite to your forum Marshall.

Would you happen to know what frequency the Cary police use for their body mics in undercover ops (even if it's extremely low power)? I wouldn't mind having it on hand in the event I'm listening in on something and want to see if I can pick it up, even faintly.

Given that I know where the ops are going on (at least tonight I do), do you think a directional antenna would help pick the body mics up any better like a yagi? My wife just said "I don't see you much now, you're not getting a bigger antenna, I'll never see you" :) I may not get one but it'd be good to know what might work in case I ever got the opportunity to get one.

Thanks
-Dan
BCD996T (my one and only scanner ever ... a couple months old)

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I know that other agencies around Wake use 170.xxxMhz range for the body mics...though like I said in my earlier post you have to be within a couple 100 feet to be able to hear anything...justdan-do you have a digital capable scanner? if so there is alot of interesting stuff to hear on the Wake County/VIPER system
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

justdan

After a brief holiday break I'm back :) Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I'm gonna give up on trying to listen to the body mics. I now know a lot more than I did. Thanks.

Hey Marshall. Yep, I've got a BCD996T ... my first scanner (ever) and a few months old. I'm enjoying the new hobby of mine. I've listened to some TGs on the Viper system in wake county ... mostly Morrisville PD and the local district for the State Highway Patrol. Which Viper TGs do you listen to the most?
-Dan

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
justdan said:
After a brief holiday break I'm back :) Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I'm gonna give up on trying to listen to the body mics. I now know a lot more than I did. Thanks.

Hey Marshall. Yep, I've got a BCD996T ... my first scanner (ever) and a few months old. I'm enjoying the new hobby of mine. I've listened to some TGs on the Viper system in wake county ... mostly Morrisville PD and the local district for the State Highway Patrol. Which Viper TGs do you listen to the most?
-Dan

For the Wake County System/VIPER I usually scan the following:
Bank 0 (zero)= Garner Talkgroups (PD & Fire/EMS) (I live in Garner)
Bank 5= Various System Talkgroups (ALE and other seldom used/future use talkgroups)
Bank 7= Wake Sheriff Patrol & other Talkgroups (I lockout the main dispatch...this way I only hear the good stuff on the Patrol Talkgroups)
I also have the following in banks to select if I want to:
Bank 1= Wake/Raleigh Fire/EMS Dispatch/Alert Talkgroups
Bank 2= Wake County PS Tac Channels/Ops Talkgroups
Bank 3= Raleigh/Wake EMS To Hospitals
Bank 4= RDU Airport Future VIPER talkgroups (they will move over soon)
Bank 6= Wake County Small Towns (IE: Morrisville, Knightdale, Zebulon, Wendell Etc..
Bank 8= Cary 800Mhz (In case I need it but I usually listen to Cary on my 246T)
Bank 9= Wake/Raleigh Conventional Frequencies (ie: Raleigh PD)

BTW: The above is from my Pro96...I also use my 246T to listen to analog VIPER activity (ie: NCSHP)...

Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

condor11

This post may not be the best way to figure freq. but if you can get close enough there are "frequencies finder" devices that will pick up wireless signals.

These devices are commonly used for "bug sweeps".

Dont know the range but range=sensitivity when dealing with faint transmissions.
hmm... maybe another thread for that /\
I would like to hear from someone who has used this method to find the freq. of a wireless transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.