Body Recovery - Schuylkill River, Berks Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
According to the news, a person jumped from the Walnut St bridge in Leesport, PA last night.

Today, there is a bunch of activity related to sightings on the river.

The Schuylkill River is swollen from all the recent rain that has fallen in this part of PA.

Around lunch time today, PSP Trooper 3 was travelling over Reading and spotted a person on the bike trail along the river trying to get their attention. That person directed the helo upriver, although nobody has made ground contact with this witness that I've heard.

Numerous fire apparatus and water resuce units are staged at the Union Fire Co in Leesport. Northern Berks Regional PD has been on radio with county trying to get updates on what is happening down river in Reading. A Coroner unit is also up in Leesport.

Trooper 3 originally started talking to folks on PD National and then switched to PSP VHF Tac 1 to coordinate with a trooper on the ground. Once Trooper 3 left 155.475, communications seemed to break down completely. Local PD's continually asked Berks radio to make contact with PSP because none of the PSP units would answer on 155.475. At one point, the PSP ground unit asked Trooper 3 if he had the ability to use their 800 tac channel and then they got quiet. At one point, Berks radio got on 155.475 and called in the blind to any PSP ground unit, Trooper 3, or the Norristown CDC. I'm not sure why they asked for the Norristown CDC since the Harrisburg CDC dispatches troopers in this area. At any rate, Norristown CDC answered and said they would make contact with the units and have somebody come up on radio, although I have not heard anything.

Wyomissing PD was briefly involved but returned to normal ops once it seemed like the sighting was most likely in Reading PD's area.

Reading Fire Dept. dive team was requested some time after 1 PM, but fire units sound slightly confused right now (1:50 pm). It seems as though the alleged sighting is still unconfirmed.

PSP just requested that an RFD member ride in the helo (currently at airport for fuel) to better scout the area.

Not yet sure if this is a confirmed body sighting or not at 2 PM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.