BOEC Talk Group 37264

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

Some time ago during a search, it stopped on TG 37264. Their chatter sounded like a Search and Rescue operation. For some reason I left it in the scanner and this AM it was active again.
They were talking about an LZ and changing to a WCCCA SAR Talk Group,.
The database shows the WCCCA SAR TG as 63792. I put that in, but hear nothing.
The database shows BOEC TG 37264 as the Radio Techs.
Does anyone know what this is all about?

DickH

Well earlier today they were doing a search for someone in the Timber area, so the possibility is out there.

Thanks, but do you know who would have been using TG 37264? Past traffic suggested they were in the Mt. Hood area.
And since that TG is listed as the Radio Techs, perhaps the RR database is not correct.

mjohnston4

I have not a clue, I was hearing things on WCSO1 and reading things on Twitter. But past that I didn't hear anything else, I did see they were asking for that private S&R company or group that has a mobile repeater. But Timber is SOOO far away from Mult Co they could never use it there. Maybe used in Mult Co to mobilize?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
...asking for that private S&R company or group that has a mobile repeater...

I believe its Mountain Wave Communications, and they might be talking about 155.805 or 155.16.. Since Multnomah County and Washington County are always using 800, they may call regular frequencies "talkgroups" as well.

ubrmel

Premium Subscriber
Maybe, but they said, QUOTE "... switch to the Washington county SAR Talk Group." - UNQUOTE.

I've listened to most of the Kyron searches, the Radio Tech TG you are talking about (37264) was often used when they set up a mobile repeater (the Radio Tech guys) and during the searches ...

I've also heard SAR stuff relayed on there for other incidents. (Such as the lost mushroom picker the other day, that's the only TG I had unlocked and I heard UTM's etc..)

I don't know about the day you were listening, and I'm no expert, I can only say what I've heard myself =)

I have that TG unlocked because if someone is lost/missing and they are going to do a search, I usually hear them talking about it on that TG and where they will put the mobile repeater and such and it gives me a heads up to listen in.

BUT, other times there is just the random talk by the Radio Techs about whatever it is they talk about and testing, fixing the system.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
I've listened to most of the Kyron searches, the Radio Tech TG you are talking about (37264) was often used when they set up a mobile repeater (the Radio Tech guys) and during the searches ...

I've also heard SAR stuff relayed on there for other incidents. (Such as the lost mushroom picker the other day, that's the only TG I had unlocked and I heard UTM's etc..)

I don't know about the day you were listening, and I'm no expert, I can only say what I've heard myself =)

I have that TG unlocked because if someone is lost/missing and they are going to do a search, I usually hear them talking about it on that TG and where they will put the mobile repeater and such and it gives me a heads up to listen in.

BUT, other times there is just the random talk by the Radio Techs about whatever it is they talk about and testing, fixing the system.

While some members of Mountain Wave may very well be "Radio Techs" for their day job, they are, at their core, a group of volunteers with a variety of expertise related to finding missing people, and responding to assist first responders in difficult terrain areas. Yes, they will set up mobile repeaters to use during searches...

Also, referring to "talkgroups" and "channels" is pretty ubiquitous, as the majority of folks utilizing radio equipment wouldn't have the slightest idea behind the technology their radio uses ... unless they cared to, for some reason.

In the 800MHz (and now 700MHz) radio training I have done for my agency, I can say rather truthfully that the majority just want to know that when they push the PTT switch someone is going to be on the other end of the "wire" to help them. The underlying technology (conventional channel versus trunked talkgroup) doesn't really concern them in the least.

Last edited:

russg

Talkgroups & channels

Your comments about talkgroups and channels are very true. This is the case with all the 800 users I deal with at my day job. However, my colleges at MW do know the difference!

DickH

Your comments about talkgroups and channels are very true. This is the case with all the 800 users I deal with at my day job. However, my colleges at MW do know the difference!

That still doesn't answer the original question as to why that TG is listed as being for the radio techs. Either someone is using it incorrectly or it is labeled incorrectly in the database.

DickH

I don't manage the data base. They do a good job here but there are several talkgroups that are incorrectly labeled.

That's right, but can we stick with original question about TG 37264. Do you know the correct tag for that TG?

Status
Not open for further replies.