Bolivar Motorola poor transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bltaylor86

Not sure if anyone else in the delta area is having issues but I'm not getting clear transmissions on the Bolivar County EMS systems. Transmissions are not garbled as if it's encrypted but really poor receptions. I can make out some talking every so often. I'm halfway suspecting it's my antenna. I've got a Watson WSMA 801 that has improved reception. The system is running 800mhz freqs and I don't think there is any other system I monitor that uses that a high a freq.

I'm a noob so forgive me if I'm not providing enough info.

bltaylor86

Was that on the Bolivar County 911 System? I know it's being used but I've have rarely picked up any clear transmissions. Normally I hear what's on the 911 system going through some of they're conventional channels.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
If I remember right, Pafford is using their own radio system that's patched into the county's trunking system. I'll need to get clarification on that.

bltaylor86

This is not the MSWIN system. It's the Bolivar County 911 Motorola Type II SmartZone system, Bolivar County Fire/EMS Talkgroups, specifically Bolivar County EMS. I was randomly picking up some transmissions months ago and it recently started in the last few weeks again.

What I was wondering was about the 800mhz freqs they use. Everything else seems to be on 700mhz. I pickup the MSWIN ok, with a few exceptions, but the Motorola system is garbled at best. I was thinking that maybe it's my antenna is not able to receive 800mhz well. I was checking to see if anyone around Bolivar county was picking up any good transmissions on the Bolivar County 911 system. I've heard little to no traffic since I've seen listening, which is probably over a year now.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
I know this is over a month old, but I just saw it.

Bolivar's SN system was patched to the Pafford VHF system. This often caused garbled traffic. Another issue is the county system is way out in the county, so if you are travelling up 1 or 6 you are 10 miles from it at the closest point, often 20+ miles. portable antennas just don't pick up the county system very well, leading to even worse garbling. MSWIN actually has 3 sites in Bolivar County, which vastly improves coverage!

Pafford recently switched to MSWIN, and the county is actually in the process of updating consoles so they can switch too. The FD will stay on a hybrid for a while, though the SO will probably move as soon as the consoles are fully MSWIN capable. These are the only 2 "real" users on the county system, which is why there simply is not much traffic on it anymore.

bltaylor86

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully they will switch soon. The SO and few small town are still using the Motorola system for now. There's a couple of TGIDs that come in garbled.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I was in Indianola for a. Month, the 911 system is kicking well, and strong, as is Washington county,

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Though Washington Co has fully migrated to the MSWIN and uses Phase II TDMA. The old Motorola is an backup now, though wont be online too much longer. They will either convert part of it to MSWIN, or just offline it. The Bolivar 911 will be turned off once full migration is completed. It can be used as a backup for the ones that went to MSWIN already, but I would not expect that unless there is a MASSIVE MSWIN failure.

Hammerguy69

Though Washington Co has fully migrated to the MSWIN and uses Phase II TDMA. The old Motorola is an backup now, though wont be online too much longer. They will either convert part of it to MSWIN, or just offline it. The Bolivar 911 will be turned off once full migration is completed. It can be used as a backup for the ones that went to MSWIN already, but I would not expect that unless there is a MASSIVE MSWIN failure.

Both would be smart to take existing 800 rptrs and reprogram them to operate as conventional rptrs and use some of the NIFOG 800 MA channels.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber

the Washington county site was actually turned off fully for a bit. Turned back on so that Greenville public works could use it in a limited capacity. The system would have to be fully replaced to convert it to anything useful, and the county does not want to spend any more money on it. So eventually it will die or be permanently shut down.

Per 911 commission Bolivar will keep their system on air until it dies. For now several small towns will still be using it as primary but hopefully the whole thing goes to backup status in the next year or so.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Not a problem pi

I would have-thought they was mswin but when I was there I was tracking them like a champ on the 3600 baud rate system, and sounds very strong

bltaylor86

Just an update in case anyone cares. Bolivar County Sheriff is using MSWIN now. Can here them in neighboring counties now. They are still using the Motorola system some but seem to be migrating away little by little. The Washington County MSWIN seems to be in full swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.