Bonking

Status
Not open for further replies.

palo1

On the Edgar tower there seems to be a lot of OPP units experiencing "bonking" or other transmission problems. I'm not talking about "going digital" as the sound is entirely different and fairly prevalent.

Is the OPP having problems with their radio equipment?

This just seemed to have started in the last few weeks? (in car as well with portables)

Hopefully they'll repair rather than replace the system (if there is a problem) because they might look at encryption.

p

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
On the Edgar tower there seems to be a lot of OPP units experiencing "bonking" or other transmission problems. I'm not talking about "going digital" as the sound is entirely different and fairly prevalent.

Is the OPP having problems with their radio equipment?

This just seemed to have started in the last few weeks? (in car as well with portables)

Hopefully they'll repair rather than replace the system (if there is a problem) because they might look at encryption.

p

Maybe its ice? I have noticed some issues with the Cayuga and Brantford.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
The term 'bonking' means that all frequencies on that tower are all being used and someone is trying to get through at the same time on the same channel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 4

randyf

still trying to figure this all out
The term 'bonking' means that all frequencies on that tower are all being used and someone is trying to get through at the same time on the same channel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 4
Also when the battery is running low on their portables this will happen also

SCPD

QRT
Muskoka towers have been experiencing the same condition. I do have a comment about encryption that maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in and help? When the Caledon incident was going on Edgar tower dispatch said too two constables you are on an open channel, as they were discussing this very openly and what they should do. After this point the conversation went ENC on my scanner and lots of noise, I would take it that the two OPP constables went to encrypted mode. So don't they now have the ability to use ENC?

VE3JSO

yea i hear that from time to time on the sarnia tower and most of the time when i hear that is when the battery is running low and plus what the prev post stated when all the freqs are in use i hear that most of the time in the winter when the mto roads are doing the plowing and road reports

VE3JSO

Muskoka towers have been experiencing the same condition. I do have a comment about encryption that maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in and help? When the Caledon incident was going on Edgar tower dispatch said too two constables you are on an open channel, as they were discussing this very openly and what they should do. After this point the conversation went ENC on my scanner and lots of noise, I would take it that the two OPP constables went to encrypted mode. So don't they now have the ability to use ENC?

if it is like the one agency that i know in my area they can turn the enc on and off with a push of a button on their radios

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1483 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

VE3JSO said:

if it is like the one agency that i know in my area they can turn the enc on and off with a push of a button on their radios

Can both of you guys PM me? I have a few questions if I may?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Standard OPP patrols are not equipped with encryption that I'm aware of. Not once have I heard it used in my area.

When the Caledon incident was going on Edgar tower dispatch said too two constables you are on an open channel, as they were discussing this very openly and what they should do. After this point the conversation went ENC on my scanner and lots of noise, I would take it that the two OPP constables went to encrypted mode. So don't they now have the ability to use ENC?

You sure you weren't hearing TRU team guys? They would have the ability to encrypt. Other than them, pretty much only the intel and surveillance guys are secure equipped.

palo1

Thanks all guys for the comments - I guess with the weather it has been busy

p

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Also keep in mind that a portable with a weak battery will also cause a bonk. Since the weather is colder, the batteries aren't lasting as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.