book recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutz

Premium Subscriber
I am new to scanning and just purchased my first analog scanner. Are there any book recommendations anyone can give me to purchase?

I was looking for books that had frequencies listed and books that will teach me fundamentals about radios/scanners or scanning in general.

I know there are a ton of websites that list frequencies but If I had a book in front of me it would be a bit easier for me.

Thanks for any info

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
In the last 10 yrs books like you're looking for have disappeared. With sites like RR there's really no need... (Or desire to pay for them.)

When you have questions, I'd advise you to first use the search box in the upper right of this site. After that, if you are still having problems, just ask! We're always happy to help, and 10,000+ people are better at solving a problem than 1 book.

Also, the Wiki (Found here: Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki ) will be invaluable to you as you learn.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Almost any book is going to be outdated, especially on frequencies.

Stick with the websites, especially this one.

I am new to scanning and just purchased my first analog scanner. Are there any book recommendations anyone can give me to purchase?

I was looking for books that had frequencies listed and books that will teach me fundamentals about radios/scanners or scanning in general.

I know there are a ton of websites that list frequencies but If I had a book in front of me it would be a bit easier for me.

Thanks for any info
If you live in Fairfax city you would need a digital scanner to listen to the police. There are some analog stuff I see according to the website. But I see you bought an analog scanner. What brand is it? Does it do trunk tracking? The reason I ask is because Virginia appears to be going to a lot of digital. I sugggest to save up for a digital scanner which most or all can trunk trac, pickup digital, analog, EDAC, Narrow FM, P25, 800/900MHz etc.

Also check out the Virgina forum and see what they suggest for your county or city you live in. Virginia Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.