Boonton Fireground??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpockets

res148cue said:
Highpockets said:
Talking to yourself, sign of old age! Been there, done that. :)[/QU

THere must be a problem on the Boonton Twp. side with the new radio setup. On fire calls town is dispatching twp.

Maybe there is some changes taking place that is not public yet.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I still am having trouble withthe fact that they are using a commercial GMRS Frequency for this. I'm guessing they didn't want to buy new radios for a public safety pool frequency.

robbinsj2

There is no such things as commercial GMRS, it's business band or it's GMRS (in this case, business band).

I've never heard of a radio which can work on 463/468 and not also on 460/465 and 453/458 (the two nearby public safety bands). A while ago some models came in UHF and UHF-T models, but even that has generally been broadened to something like 400-470 and 450-512. Anyway, I doubt the cost of radios was a reason why they went with business band instead of public safety. As far as the FCC is concerned (and disregarding common sense and NFPA and similar requirements), the same cheap radio marketed for business use on 463.825 could be used on 453.825.

Around me public safety channels are a lot more of a pain to get than business band. I'm not even sure how much is available -- I've heard that most UHF and 800 public safety channels have been let out so getting a new channel involves all sorts of waivers and consent from cochannel licensees. I can't vouch for that but I do know that typically very soon after a PS channel is abandoned by one town for a trunked system, it is gobbled up by another.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
I agree with most of that. I think you can find an available UHF pub safety freq., you just have to find one that isn't close to you where it will interfere.

Status
Not open for further replies.