bootable memory stick image with telive software

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamradionl

Hi sq5bpf

I like to thank you for making this easy USB boot available for those
elderly people who totally not understand any linux, .... yet
Yes, its running now and decode is OKE good quality audio.

Problem what causing bootup stops, is the big external Samsung monitor.
The boot disk cant handle that monitor, disconnect it and linux is bootup and working.
Problem for my old eyes, i cant read or see what i doing... on the tiny laptop screen.

Next for me to do,
solve this monitor problem first
after that i try install ;inux and gnuradio on second HDD to be faster.

sq5bpf

Problem what causing bootup stops, is the big external Samsung monitor

actually this is the last thing that i would expect to cause a problem, good that you've nailed it

what is the model and resolution of this monitor?

maybe it breaks with any external monitor?

hamradionl

Dear sq5bpf,

Yes, i start thinking like in the good old DOS time 1994 :) Start disconnecting things so when disconnect the external monitor, its bootup oke.
than i shut down Linux, Connecting the monitor again, Linux and screen freezes while boot.
So disconnect the monitor, and linux bootup as charm.

Monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 940-bw and a Nvidia Quadro FX-770M video card.

Again thank you for time make this available for us iam very happy old men, for now.

Mighe

Hello

Can you give please login /password of mint live distro
for customize in my native language

Thank you

sq5bpf

Can you give please login /password of mint live distro
for customize in my native language

if you don't know this, that means that you didn't bother to read the documentation.

sorry, but i won't give it to you. the documentation was written for a reason. if you didn't read it, then asking questions is just wasting my time (and yours too).

and when you find it, please don't post it. let others find it too.

Mighe

if you don't know this, that means that you didn't bother to read the documentation.

sorry, but i won't give it to you. the documentation was written for a reason. if you didn't read it, then asking questions is just wasting my time (and yours too).

and when you find it, please don't post it. let others find it too.

Ok

I will RTFM

kevtheskin

Hello sq5bpf /All
Could someone please tell me how to change frequency in Gnu companion. Its seems to be set to 390.55M . I double clicked the box and tried to enter 398.360M local frequency and came up with error saying cannot be evaulated? and did not take frequency. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Big thanks to sq5bpf for your patients to us Linux noobs.
73s Kev

sq5bpf

Could someone please tell me how to change frequency in Gnu companion. Its seems to be set to 390.55M . I double clicked the box and tried to enter 398.360M local frequency and came up with error saying cannot be evaulated?

this is a thread related to the bootable version, not general questions regarding telive et al, please use the other thread

but what you're doing is ok, click (single click should be enough), enter 398.360M (no spaces, capital M), press enter.

btw maybe you've changed the locale? (language settings etc)?

hamradionl

Hello sq5bpf ,

I use your USB solution for some days.
In some time after a while using, the MINT 17.3 desktop Gui get stressed
windows freezes and despairing and not function any more.
Disconnect the RTL stick for 5 minutes or longer and untill the desktop windows all come back,
connect RTL again,
working oke.

hamradionl

Hello sq5bpf ,
when stop GNUradio and start it again
the flowgraph is not fully loaded a second time and it get stuck some in middle of opening
Need to reboot the PC.

Any hint ?

kevtheskin

Hello Sq5bpf.
Just to let you know everything is working now and have manage to decode a local signal :). A couple of questions to ask please. If I use my usb stick on other pc do I need to download codec again. Also how do I scroll back text to read info in receiver1udp box.
Thanks again for all your good work
Kev

kevtheskin

Hello sq5bpf ,
when stop GNUradio and start it again
the flowgraph is not fully loaded a second time and it get stuck some in middle of opening
Need to reboot the PC.

Any hint ?
Hi I had this problem as well. I found I could resize the window by left click and drag?

Kev

hamradionl

Thank yo, i give it try next time.

The USB solution give the most "pleasure" instead of my HDD install vesion :)
still not able to get the HDD version running like the USB version

QUEST:
when monitor non encrypted channel,
i see the data blocks moving, see blue PLAY but hear No audio.
Or is it encrypted ?
When i push button <m> i hear also no voice.

Anyone have idea ?

Mgd

For Windows Users

Hello Dears All,

Hello @sq5bpf i registered here today just to thank you for you effort and contribution :)

I am very very newbie ham radio, i was very interesting about to listening to any project25, but unfortunately my country did use any, but only Tetra, so your contribution get me exciting again, that i may apply what i read it here

also, i am a high tech windows user, and this is my chance to help other as you start first :)

so, any windows user just follow these steps and i will update if any news

First: verify that the file you download is is completed and not corrupted

Go and download this simple utility, from WinMD5 Free - Windows MD5 Utility Freeware

run it, and browse to the downloaded file, once you click open, it will automatically calculate it's "check sum"

qnHDm4y.png

copy from the fist page your file check sum code, and put it in field "original file md5 checksum", and click "Verify"

U6oxAxR.png

you must get with message "matched", this mean that your file ok , and is the same as sq5bpf file :)

Gr13PoQ.png

here you are in your half way, let's continue . .

Go to https://rufus.akeo.ie/
and download it's nice tool, Open it, and just check that your flash drive are in "Device" field, then go down to the option "create a bootable disk using" and click on CD icon to mount your downloaded file

BtSZ5sW.png

a dialog will open to browse to your file, here you must change you files filters to show "All files" not "ISO image" only.

KcIZ5kS.png

rufus will take it, and you will find that almost all options are grayed out, don't care about it, and click start . .

S7G7OSx.png

it will take some time depend in your flash drive speed , but you will see percent completion progress ( for me, the time from 95% to 100% was the same from 0% to 95% :), but wait and don't do nothing until it finish then click close.

after it finish, a message from windows will told you that your USB flash drive want to be formatted, neglect it and refuse it all, also you must know that your flash drive will not be available to mount or to use it from Windows environment, and you could not browse it's files, because the Linux partition Types are completely differ from Windows partition type

Now you are ready, Just restart your PC and boot it from your USB flash drive
(you can change your "boot order" quickly by press F9 or F12, and in some other Esc
or you can enter your BIOS by press Del , the go to booting menu and change it's order)

and you will finally get something like this screenshot when your initial boot

z54AGKC.png

and here you are in your new Telive environment, Congratulation :)

3bDeFtM.png

note. You can use your flash drive again in windows by format it, but this will erase all of it’s contents.

thanks all

hamradionl

Some other tip:

For those using slower USB stick, these sometimes having short hangs or stutter...
I tested a fast read/write USB SSD card and that seem runs better/smother more stable.

tango20k

Some other tip:

For those using slower USB stick, these sometimes having short hangs or stutter...
I tested a fast read/write USB SSD card and that seem runs better/smother more stable.

very true, and even better with USB3 capable ports.

thanks.

tango20k

greetings ,

have a windows laptop with limited usbs making no space at all for the other USB services if i use the live image , thought of installing the live usb direclty content into HD partition. and booting from there , and save a USB port . the other alternate is use SD card embedded reader and boot, but dont know if that is efficient.

could any one please help.

regards,,

hamradionl

Sq5bpf.
When download from linuxmint
the right click desktop menu to make a launcher is different from your version
What Linuxmint version you use for the telive USB image ?

What image advice for debian to use ?

sq5bpf

When download from linuxmint
the right click desktop menu to make a launcher is different from your version

What Linuxmint version you use for the telive USB image ?

this is linux mint 17.3, maybe you installed a different GUI (iirc i used the xfce window manager to save cpu, you probably used mate)

What image advice for debian to use ?

debian 8. use the 64 bit version, unless you have a very good reason not to (sometimes windows people are used to installing 32 bit software versions, because on windows people claim that it solves some issues. but this is not windows)

btw please post these questions in the "tetra decoding" thread, so this one is kept short

hamradionl

sq5bpf;
i installed the Mint Cinnamon version i try the Xfce also try Debian
Most here are new in the Linux,
please be patient and gentle with us, we widowers appreciating your effort make this all possible and we switch to linux or Debian :)

Status
Not open for further replies.