bootable memory stick image with telive software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sq5bpf

Hello @sq5bpf i registered here today just to thank you for you effort and contribution :)

glad that you like it :)

and thanks for the windows tutorial. i'm sure it will help the people which previously had problems (i still don't know the reason for this)

hamradionl

Not for Linux wizzkids
Below information is only for widow users to make a good starting point and get live easy.

Get yourself :
- 1x USB 2.0 or 3.0 HDD or SDD hard case only some small Euro or Dollar
- 1x SATA HDD or SSD like 120 Gb are very low priced

- Download the USB tetra telive image
- Install this on External USB - HDD or SSD like described before
- After install,
- Reboot from the USB - HDD / SSD like described
- If reboot test if working OK ?
- Tetra Telive test if running also OK ?
- Test, run, play with it and change setting if you like, your display settings or else.
Its faster as the USB stick

- After you have play using the USB - HDD - SSD hardcase
- Close the PC and shut-down.

- Remove the HDD or SSD from the external USB hardcase you used above
- Remove your existing Windows HDD or SSD from your PC ( beware of static )
- Place the new HDD or SSD with Linux in your PC
- Startup maby need to change Boot setting in Bios, to find new HDD of SSD
- Reboot to Linux
- Start Tetra Telive
- Play with it to see if all work OK ?
- Work very fast en no stutter in voices

Here you go, Welcome to Linux

If you have a laptop with CDrom player mounted in a removable cradle ?
Get yourself a HDD caddy
Remove the CDROM player and place the HDD caddy in his place
This way you are able to swap between Windows of Linux within 3 minutes

A fresh 64bit install on a HDD or SSD this work very well.
But you need to install all by yourself.
TIP:
Use Linux mint Xfce its the same desktop as sq5bpf USB ready to use image.

Widowers hope this helps those older age Hams and wish you good luck.

Last edited:

hamradionl

sq5bpf;
after some test i dont know if below is possible or i do wrong.

USB DEMO image version 1.7
When using the DEMO startup icons delivered for
cd ~/tetra/osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src
./receiver1 1
a fifo is created in the DiR /TMP
Start GNUradio using the radio file Telive_1ch_simple_gr37.grc,
the flowchart seem not always loaded correct.
remove the fifo file in /temp, flowchart is fully loaded, but telive seem not work.

I test later, if this problem happen when use terminal window, to start telive

sq5bpf

after some test i dont know if below is possible or i do wrong.

if using the version with pipes you need to execute everything in the right order, you seem to have the right order, but try this:

- ls -la /tmp/fifo1 , see if it is a fifo or a file (if a file, then you've done something wrong)

- rm /tmp/fifo1 (receiver1 1 will make it again anyway)

- ./receiver1 1

- run telive_1ch_simple_gr37.grc

- ./rxx

but instead of using pipes, you can use the udp version (which is the version that is used by default in the bootable image quick start description). the udp version doesn't need any particular order of execution

kevtheskin

Hello again.
Can somebody tell me how to install telive straight on to laptop please. I have a spare laptop that I could use instead of bootable stick?

Thanks Kev De MM0KJG

sq5bpf

Can somebody tell me how to install telive straight on to laptop please. I have a spare laptop that I could use instead of bootable stick?

this question really belongs to the "tetra decoding" thread, and not here

read the documentation (the telive_doc.pdf file). the preferred distribution is debian 8 (not mint and not ubuntu), you will have the least problems with it. install debian, run one script and you're done.

beware of various howtos, they are mostly written by people who don't have a clue about linux, although there are 2-3 decent ones

when asking questions, keep in mind that radioreference is not a linux support group. anyone with basic linux skills will be able to help you if you run into problems (by basic linux skills i mean a person that can do a bit more than pointing the cursor at a silly picture and clicking a button, or cut'n'paste commands from the internet without any clue what they do)

hamradionl

sq5bpf,

i just wonder for some time reading these topics
You write a wonderfull program avery one is very placed with your effort and time
If so many asking, why there is not yet a good "how to do it for dummys" for those are widowers and do not know about linux at this moment ?

Sir, my age is 70++ years and if people who do not know about things, these people will be at some point i time... Have seen this before as long i be running on this planet ;)
I do not mean to be unpolite but just wondering.

sq5bpf

i just wonder for some time reading these topics
You write a wonderfull program avery one is very placed with your effort and time
If so many asking, why there is not yet a good "how to do it for dummys" for those are widowers and do not know about linux at this moment ?

open source is a group effort. some people write software, some write documentation. actually i've wrote some docs, and they seem to be good enough for many people (at least for the ones which have reading comprehension skills).

you are welcome to contribute easier instructions, maybe you can relate better to the problems these people are having and will be better at explaining this stuff to them. but beware: i'm constantly getting dumb questions that result from people not reading a simple README document, so i'm not sure they will read whatever you've written (but please do try!)

Sir, my age is 70++ years and if people who do not know about things, these people will be at some point i time... Have seen this before as long i be running on this planet ;)
I do not mean to be unpolite but just wondering.

being 70+ makes you an experienced engineer, and as such you know that when you want to get something to work you read the docs, the you lookup the terms which are unfamiliar, and then read the docs again and see if you understand most of them. sit down, read, plan, do (not the other way around). you probably went through this path yourself, and you've been successful.

the problem is that many people would like to just do something simple to make it work, monkey around with it to get "the hang of it" etc. all this without reading the docs. this is not the target group

slicerwizard

FYI, this post is NOT directed at anyone in particular.

you are welcome to contribute easier instructions, maybe you can relate better to the problems these people are having and will be better at explaining this stuff to them.
This. Coders tend to write instructions that are geared towards the more advanced users and can be ill-equipped to cater to beginners. They just don't speak the same language. Users who have managed to figure out how a package works *could* help the project by creating some how-to docs or videos for those who need a helping hand, but they almost never do.

but beware: i'm constantly getting dumb questions that result from people not reading a simple README document, so i'm not sure they will read whatever you've written (but please do try!)
And this. There is a subset of users who refuse to read docs. And another subset who try, but can't follow coder-generated docs. C'est la vie.

hamradionl

For ALL those have my respect and effort to make this software possible.

Yes, you got a 100% point there.
This program is wonderfull for all of us out there, for using it !
The more users, the more feedback, the better program will be at some point in time.

Young or old users like the "old" ham radio spirit is : Help those where its needed :)
Other problem i notice is the language,
Not all of us speak or read English technical stuff as the coders are writing, that is sometimes very, very, very hard to fallow.

Little extra example to get my point more clearly,
myself able blindly put a bike engine in and out to have only in to spare parts.
I am sure others cant do that blindly, and make those who cant, being dome people ?
No,
because most people are only bike drivers, but not being bike mechanics.
Same with software..... :)

Lets wait for the next version and help those who like to use it, but dont understand a bit of ho to do it.

Last edited:

kevtheskin

Hello all.
Would somebody point me to the correct dowload link for debian 8 please. I went to site and there seems to be a lot of versions 8.5 not sure whitch one to download. Thanks
Kev

Mighe

Hello,

An update of image is it planned with new development of Telive ?

Thanks by advance for the reply

tango20k

sq5bpf , Mighe

i second the request of our friend Mighe , after all installs of Kali , Mint , Ubuntu , with the given script and launch procedure , nothing works . the only version of tetra decoder that works for me is the Bootable Demo which is built on Telive 1.7 , i have installed it on HD then placed in the Laptop as Hamradioni suggested earlier . it boots now faster and with less jitter .

thanks and best regards,,

Stuart777

Hi all, Greeting from an old English man,,, I am new to Linux only been using it about 1 month and now its on my 2 computers (Laptop & Tower), i was determined to get Telive Tetra working and i did kindo-of by using a Youtube link whom is also using Kali Linux-2016.2 x64 please note i did this on a fresh install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWk_XRguX8&feature=youtu.be
Hope its o.k to put on youtube links - hope it helps others - the fun part is how to get sound and play with the controls/buttons
Great Software and many Thanks

tango20k

Hi all, Greeting from an old English man,,, I am new to Linux only been using it about 1 month and now its on my 2 computers (Laptop & Tower), i was determined to get Telive Tetra working and i did kindo-of by using a Youtube link whom is also using Kali Linux-2016.2 x64 please note i did this on a fresh install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWk_XRguX8&feature=youtu.be
Hope its o.k to put on youtube links - hope it helps others - the fun part is how to get sound and play with the controls/buttons
Great Software and many Thanks

thanks good friend , will try this .

kind regards,,

kabgs

Hello!
set your assembly telive_live_2016031101.img
when you start asking for a password for the user telive. Where can I find the password?

sq5bpf

when you start asking for a password for the user telive. Where can I find the password?

it is in the readme file.

btw this question has been asked 100s of times, why on earth people can't figure this out?

kabgs

I'm sorry, but when loading immediately got locked screensaver password. readmi a file from the desktop and access was not for him. after restarting the desktop loaded and I got access to it. thank you for the work done, I did.

rory101

Telive No sound at all

ok....i finally managed to install this linux program to an external hhd

and i got it running but....why cant i get any sound, and not even the sound of the hizzz ???????? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

tango20k

Dear Rory101
is the RX telive windows showing any traffic , is the Metusi having value of "1"

if so the signal maybe encrypted and will not play , you may need to change that into "0" by pressing Letter M in keyboard. you can also see this in udp window where it says :Air Encryption;1

if all of this is not true , try the Test Tetra Codec and check if you can hear the test voice message of Hello Tetra.

Status
Not open for further replies.