Border Patrol/Security along the St Clair River

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've picked up some interesting stuff along the St. Clair River between Algonac - Marine City - Port Huron Michigan where it's very common for illegal stuff to be going on between Canada and the U.S. Homeland Security and CBP have numerous security observation, detection, tracking technology setup. The most recent is the rotating marine type radar antenna similar to the picture below. It's mounted on base on the ground close to the shore of the St Clair River. You can find related comms in the clear at times on MPSCS as well as government related frequencies listed on RR's database. Anyone else checking this out?

88184 8818588188

Photo: JEFFREY M SMITH/TIMES HERALD)

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'd imagine they have some pretty cool toys they play with. I once saw a CBP (I presume) vehicle down under the Bluewater Bridge. It was a pickup truck that was painted essentially flat black with a scissor lift type device in the bed of the truck that looked to have cameras/night vision equipment attached to it, much like the pic above.

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
I believe they have towers all along the st.clair river. I was once told that they can see the
Whole length of the river on camera.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Algonac State Park has one of the camera observation camera towers that can be seen in the background of this picture. This area (but not the park itself) seems like a hot spot for illegal crossings for drugs and human trafficking. This is a great spot to camp if you have a tent, trailer or motor home (or your mobile command post!). Lots of space and amenities. If you're into watching and monitoring freighters you'll get a great view of everyone that passes.

Hit_Factor

I believe they have towers all along the st.clair river. I was once told that they can see the
Whole length of the river on camera.
I rode a freighter on the St. Clair to the Ambassador bridge last summer. There were towers with surveillance equipment on some of the small islands.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Channel 7 did a good news article on this a few years ago.

That scene in the video where they approach the decomisioned big rusty iron railroad bridge in its open position is right at Vantage Point that I posted about in another thread:

It can be an interesting area to hang out with your radio gear, bring some buddies make a day of it!

Last edited:

Hooligan

They're showing the mystery antenna there.

With only three whip antennas seen on the vessel, and assuming that like most commercial & public safety vessels, they have at-least two VHF Marine radios in the bridge (one to stay on 16, the other for use on a 'working' channel), that third antenna should be for their agency/mission radio, in this case, the CBP VHF net. Then ideally, their handheld radios are APX7000 or 8000s that can do VHF Marine, VHF CBP & other agencies, plus 800MHz MPSCS.

Years ago, when I lived on the 23rd floor of Riverfront Towers apartments (100 W Jefferson Ave) along the Detroit River in downtown Detroit, the Border Patrol boat (sometimes with USCG) would routinely hide in the marina in front of my apartment complex at various hours, either watching a suspicious vessel or loitering in-wait of anything suspicious. I first found that out by getting an Optoelectronics freq counter hit on their old 163.625MHz VHF repeater input, but later would see them up close as I was hanging-out on a friend's boat in the marina -- we'd gently tease them -- offering them beer, etc. & they were pretty friendly.

I expect he's finally retired by now, but back in the 1990s/early 2000s, an agent in Detroit Sector with callsign "BP-206" was a big-time radio geek and pushed to make sure he in-particular & others had the right freqs programmed into their radios, and he wasn't shy about jumping-up on someone else's radio net. Crazy guy would even back-up DPD 1st, 3rd & 4th Precinct units on hot calls.

The two attached photos were taken out of my living room window.

Attachments

• CG6506.JPG
    CG6506.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PassingSalties.JPG
    PassingSalties.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 24

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Maybe some sort of data receiver from sensors along the area for real time on a display on the boat

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Maybe some sort of data receiver from sensors along the area for real time on a display on the boat

Anything possible. I read they're using a lot of new high-tech devices these days. They even caught some kind of mini-sub running drugs/money from Canada under the river two or three months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.