Bossier City Fire Encryption

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Interesting!

My logs overwrite after a few days. The last day's enteries that I picked up BCFD, 13503 (Dispatch) was all E except for UID 180126 which was clear. Before I got into SDR, I had assumed talkgroups we're either encrypted or not. Now that I've been using Unitrunker, I see that radios (not talkgroups) are either encrypted or not. And I maintain that observation all over LWIN, AWIN, and MSWIN.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
yes the encryption is strapped to the radios, either via the codeplug (ADP) or using a keyloader (DES-OFB and AES-256) not a pinpoint description but just general, and i haven't found any more encryption yet, I think they did it for the EMS side and Patient information

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I'm watching and listening to BCFD use 13504 as a dispatch in the clear. Have not seen 13503 pop up at all (ENC or otherwise. I'll keep a look out but BCFD may be clear again.....

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Pretty sure BCFD is just clear again now all around. I've been logging them for days and everything has been clear. I've only seen limited encryption on the BCPD Disp 3 group which I think may just be more of a channel 3 talk instead of being a dispatch group.

I've got several more groups that I have to analyze that weren't in the system, they seem to be fire district related but I haven't dug into the audio just yet.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure BCFD is just clear again now all around. I've been logging them for days and everything has been clear. I've only seen limited encryption on the BCPD Disp 3 group which I think may just be more of a channel 3 talk instead of being a dispatch group.

I've got several more groups that I have to analyze that weren't in the system, they seem to be fire district related but I haven't dug into the audio just yet.

That confirms what I've heard since my first post about being in the clear. Every time I've gone out towards the area I have heard all Fire and PD channels in the clear. It's like they experimented with it and then decided not to use E. Which is ok with us.

I'll post my unknowns tied to Bossier Parish in the LWIN thread when I get home. Perhaps you or someone else could make some use of them as I have been stuck on the east side of LA for awhile.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
That confirms what I've heard since my first post about being in the clear. Every time I've gone out towards the area I have heard all Fire and PD channels in the clear. It's like they experimented with it and then decided not to use E. Which is ok with us.

I'll post my unknowns tied to Bossier Parish in the LWIN thread when I get home. Perhaps you or someone else could make some use of them as I have been stuck on the east side of LA for awhile.
That would work. I wasn’t too busy a few days ago but now that we are short handed from the Chi-Nuh virus and having to get back on schedule its 15 hour days again. I’ll look at what you’ve got and what I’ve logged and run discovery on and see if I can nail down some users. Lots of 135xx and 136xx groups.

RajunCajun

Seems like 13503 is fully encrypted still/again. I have been listening/recording/broadcasting the LWIN Shreveport/Bossier Sites as a calls feed for several weeks now and have yet to hear anything from dispatch or responding units that was not flagged as Encrypted. Life air attempted to reach out a few different times in the clear but no responses. I do not really understand the need for the encryption on just that TG when they broadcast sensitive info via Tactical 1 (13504), Medical Air Heli's, private ambulance units and BCPD TG's.