Boston Area Shortwave Radio Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanner-geek

Anyone know a good shortwave radio store/retailer in the metro Boston area? I'm specifically looking for the ICOM R-75 and some antenna gear. I'd rather see it before buying online. Thanks.

Lobstah_Guy

New England Ham Stores

Scanner-geek said:
Anyone know a good shortwave radio store/retailer in the metro Boston area? I'm specifically looking for the ICOM R-75 and some antenna gear. I'd rather see it before buying online. Thanks.

I don't think there has been any such stores since Tuft's Electronics (and
another place that was out in Littleton who's name escapes me) went out
of business. The closest store would be Ham Radio Outlet up in Salem, NH.

gcgrotz

Just buy it. I have one. Can't beat it for the money/price range. It has very few flaws, the biggest is the synchronous AM is not selectable sideband, but it is stable enough to just use ssb on an AM signal. I've noticed a little overload and intermod from 3 strong AM stations within a couple miles of me, especially if you want it for LF monitoring. A decent filter would take care of that which I will have before next winter's LF season. Other than that, no complaints. Easy to use, PC control readily available cheap or free, scans too.

Scanner-geek

Thanks guys.

Lobstah guy:
I drove up to the Ham Radio Outlet in Salem. Very cool store and definitely worth the trip. Very knowledgeable and freindly staff and nice showroom. It's too bad there aren't more places like this around anymore. Definitely oriented towards HAMs (as the name might imply ;)) but helpful for HF receivers and scanners. Lots of great books, specs guides, etc. I would definitely recommend this place for montioring enthusiasts in the Boston area.

Gcgotz:
Sounds like R-75 is the way to go. I think I'll take the plunge.

Scanner-geek

Status
Not open for further replies.