Boston College Campus Police P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtlcpdmedic

Premium Subscriber
I am writting to inquire if the Boston College Campus Police have gone P25 like BUPD?
Any information would be appreciated!

kennyblues

They may have. I just programed in the 472.1375 freq. and found a encrypted P-25 signal. A search of the FCC database shows 2 other listings other than B.C. one in Swansea and the other in Amesbury.

ecps92

Yes they recently upgraded to P-25

svtlcpdmedic said:
I am writting to inquire if the Boston College Campus Police have gone P25 like BUPD?
Any information would be appreciated!

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I recall them being encrypted when I was in Boston about a month a go. BC usually has a booming signal. Someone closer would know. Foolish if they are encrypted. But what ever. Have the time they don't even answer their BAPERN-3 radio calls.

Scanner-geek

I can't imagine why they would need encryption. Not exactly the secret service. It's those pesky eagles with scanners.

RKG

The reason that more and more systems will be going encrypted when they go P-25 is because they can.

In the old days of analog radio, encryption required additional hardware, was quirky at best, and severely cut down on working range. With P-25, you are already digital, and encryption is merely a software option that alters the sampling mask, without altering the impacts one has already incurred by going to digital voice in the first place. The firmware option for software encryption is abnormally inexpensive.

800crazy1

more and more school shootings might be one good reason for encryption , just a thought . maybe they're preparing for a possible dark day .

RKG

I think you read too much into the situation. Assuming an "Active Shooter" situation at a major university, the unencrypted traffic over Boston PD, Boston EMS and MSP would dwarf anything carried over the university system.

As a general matter (nothing specific to any licensee), I think the proliferation of encryption that the OP inquired about is simply a matter of it being easy, inexpensive, and comparatively functon-penalty-free to do with P-25 systems

ecps92

The other reason seems to be the misinterpretation of the Rules [DHS grant Guidelines]
Many Read P25 Compatible as meaning they must use P25, then they go
overboard with running P25/Enc 24/7

The reason that more and more systems will be going encrypted when they go P-25 is because they can.

In the old days of analog radio, encryption required additional hardware, was quirky at best, and severely cut down on working range. With P-25, you are already digital, and encryption is merely a software option that alters the sampling mask, without altering the impacts one has already incurred by going to digital voice in the first place. The firmware option for software encryption is abnormally inexpensive.

RKG

The other reason seems to be the misinterpretation of the Rules [DHS grant Guidelines]

While I don't doubt that this is sometimes a factor, once again I think folks are straining to find precise logic where none exists. Most of the time I don't think it goes beyond: "You mean I can go encrypted for (next to) no financial and no performance cost? Well, then, why not?"

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Why not? Because it kills interops, and it lets agencys operate in secrecy. The logic is very simple - if we encrypt, then no one can hear us talking.

Obviously the word is going around to campus police chiefs in Massachusetts that P25 (and possibly encryption) is a good thing. If they took a look at some of the recent postings on the PrivateWirelessForum list, and the P25 list, they might get an education.

Peter Sz

Scanner-geek

I think it is absurd for BC to use encryption. Let's say there is a dangerous perp on the BC campus. The surrounding PDs like Newton or Boston will have no clue what's going on. You can't coordinate an interagency search on BAPERN. It's one thing if you are conducting sensitive surveillance, but college PD? Come on. Just my opinion, but I think it puts them at a decided disadvantage when Newton can't monitor what's going on a respond quickly when needed. I am not, however, a police officer so what do I know. PO safety should come first. Cost second.

Scannergeek

ecps92

Peter, Encryption does not kill interops. If they need Interop they can use

a.) Specific Channels - typically w/o Encryption [Mutual Aid, O yea they are a Campus Police Dept, Interops would occur on BAPERN]
b.) Share the Encryption key with those who need it
c.) Disable the Encryption when needed.
d.) Many other alternatives

Why not? Because it kills interops, and it lets agencys operate in secrecy. The logic is very simple - if we encrypt, then no one can hear us talking.

Obviously the word is going around to campus police chiefs in Massachusetts that P25 (and possibly encryption) is a good thing. If they took a look at some of the recent postings on the PrivateWirelessForum list, and the P25 list, they might get an education.

Peter Sz

ecps92

The Telephone is a wonderful Interop device. Not sure how long ago it was invented, but it's very handy.

BAPERN would and cold be used. Since every PO in Newton has it in the portables and Boston would simply Patch into the Dist Channel or the Interop Channel for the specific event.

I think it is absurd for BC to use encryption. Let's say there is a dangerous perp on the BC campus. The surrounding PDs like Newton or Boston will have no clue what's going on. You can't coordinate an interagency search on BAPERN. It's one thing if you are conducting sensitive surveillance, but college PD? Come on. Just my opinion, but I think it puts them at a decided disadvantage when Newton can't monitor what's going on a respond quickly when needed. I am not, however, a police officer so what do I know. PO safety should come first. Cost second.

Scannergeek

N1BHH

The reason that some of these colleges use P25 encrypted is the salesman tells them it's the best whiz bang gadget for keeping your communications private. These salesmen get an incentive for peddling it. That is correct on misinterpretation. Everyone hears that you have to get P25, but it's only a recommendation, yes, get a radio that is capable, but it's not necessary. Some people just don't know the difference, and they never will. So much for higher education, the ones that need the education are the ones who are receiving the salesman's pitch.

Schoolcop

Boston College Campus Police

I asked one of the dispatchers at BCPD and they are P-25 and encrypted. They just made the switch to encryption not to long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.