Boston Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOCCERCOACH

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if anyone knows if Boston Fire Ch-5 453.65 is no longer being used to dispatch over the radios?? Havent heard anything in days and I do know about all the changes they have made within the last week or so. Thank you Mike

SOCCERCOACH

Premium Subscriber
Yes i have read that information already, point is still not hearing anything on Ch-5 maybe they changed the PL tone, will take it off and see what happens. thank you mike

ecps92

Channel 5 will only be used if the CAD is down.

The firehouses can only receive channel 5.
They will not be using radio to announce they are in quarters.

Yes i have read that information already, point is still not hearing anything on Ch-5 maybe they changed the PL tone, will take it off and see what happens. thank you mike

garys

Premium Subscriber
Channel 5 will only be used if the CAD is down.

The firehouses can only receive channel 5.
They will not be using radio to announce they are in quarters.

My information, from people who have been in the firehouses, is that the radios are installed. The original plan was to use Channel 5, but as with anything public safety in Boston, there are politics involved.

I wouldn't lock out Channel 5 just yet as things are subject to change.

BFD-S5

Premium Subscriber
Channel 5 will only be used if CAD is down.

The firehouses can only receive channel 5. They will not be using radio to announce they are in quarters.

Politics are not involved. There was never a plan for channel 5 to used by the firehouses.

The CDM1250s in the houses are simply the audio feed for channel 1 to the PA system

Joe

SOCCERCOACH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all guess we have the answer, too bad very hard to follow BFD now without the beeps and Ch-5 have a nice evening MIke

SCPD

QRT
I believe Boston Fire will be moving to the digital P25 Commonwealth System as it's old analog frequencies are patched into the new digital system..

anyone have any info on this?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I believe Boston Fire will be moving to the digital P25 Commonwealth System as it's old analog frequencies are patched into the new digital system..

anyone have any info on this?

They are also cross patched to the MSP Zone 1 system. They have some support operations on that trunk system. I'd expect that main operations will remain on the current frequencies for the foreseeable future.

BFD-S5

Premium Subscriber
BFD has absolutely no plans to leave our UHF conventional system. Our only use of the trunking systems are for command nets and support services.

Joe

jack103

Premium Subscriber
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD-S5
BFD has absolutely no plans to leave our UHF conventional system. Our only use of the trunking systems are for command nets and support services.

Joe
I heard that congress has passed a bill requiring giving back the UHF T BAND FREQS BFD is now using .

BFD-S5

Premium Subscriber
The D-Block legislation does currently require us to move in about 9 years. There are a number of efforts to change the law so we will be allowed to stay.

The folks in DC really had no idea what it would take to move all of the T-band licensees.

Joe

The D-Block legislation does currently require us to move in about 9 years. There are a number of efforts to change the law so we will be allowed to stay.

The folks in DC really had no idea what it would take to move all of the T-band licensees.

Joe
Ain't that the truth! It was just a poor idea all the way around. That said, the current Congress is not flexible. We'll see how that goes. The spectrum is not valuable at all with pockets of legacy TV stations and business/industrial users who are not part of Representative King's giveback mandate.

A couple of things work in the favor of staying. First, the FCC has no idea how they will accommodate the displaced agencies. Some more confrontational members of Congress say that they can be accommodated as pay-to-play subscribers on the broadband network, but without a direct, off-network mode (simplex) and some kind of fallback mode in case the whole thing crashes, and without knowing how the board of governance is going to serve the user community, that's currently of little value to the fire service. Second, many other metropolitan areas who also need T-band are pushing their elected representatives to settle the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.