Boston Mass - 164.65 P25 burps

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
164.65 is listed as Secret Service in Boston in the RRDB. Am hearing digital burps every 1 or 2 minutes on the channel. Sounds like it is coming from a fixed location. The burps lasts about 1/2 a second. ?????

And as I finished typing this up there was a burp on 172.075 (which is listed as FBI Ch A1 in Boston in the RRDB). But that was just 1 burp in 10 minutes. ????

The burps sound like P25 but thats just a guess.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Today - hearing more random burps on both channels - have not heard any transmission longer than 1 second - ????

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Listened for 4 hours this morning with 1 radio sitting on 164.65 and 1 radio sitting on 172.075. Just heard random digital bursts. Usually a quarter second each - some might have been 1 or 2 seconds long. Usually all the same signal strength. Couple of times there might have been some mobile flutter but hard to tell with the real short transmissions.

A couple of times there seemed to be a connection between the 2 channels. A burst on 164.65 then a burst on 172.075. And vice versa once.

One time there was a double burst. (two bursts very close together in time - maybe just a 1/4 second between them)

(Right now as I am typing - about 5 quick bursts in a row on 164.65.)

There might have been more bursts around the 9 AM hour.

Spacing of the bursts seems to be totally random - anywhere from 1/4 second to 10 or 15 minutes between bursts.

I suppose this could be Over The Air Rekeying (OTAR), or beacons for voting, or data transmissions, or tracking bugs. Maybe even SCADA or alarms system. Or who knows what. (Just thought of another possibility - 'frequency hopping radios')

Right now again as I am typing - 5 or 6 quick honks on 164.65 - all 1/4 second except that 1 was slightly longer - maybe a half second.

???????

Last edited:

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Vote scan transmit bursts are usually at regular intervals. This could be several things, including problems with a repeater or input link causing random key ups...

- Chris

twosenses

Premium Subscriber
At least with FBI A1 it's possible it's encrypted voice with data mixed in. I had my SDR pointed at them yesterday and it picked up a few encrypted voice calls that my scanner muted by default along with data packets identified as Registration and Authorization.

ecps92

Likely single freq Repeater [A = Admin] with Vote Scan enabled on ALL Zones, so just someone turning on a radio activates VS
At least with FBI A1 it's possible it's encrypted voice with data mixed in. I had my SDR pointed at them yesterday and it picked up a few encrypted voice calls that my scanner muted by default along with data packets identified as Registration and Authorization.

Status
Not open for further replies.