Boston PD Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowsiness

I used the database to grab the frequencies for my BC346XT and saw nothing mentioning digital there, but I am hearing NOTHING out of Boston aside from BAPERN transmissions. Anyone know what I am missing here?

I used FreeScan to load this up.

JoeyC

I was recently in Boston and heard some activity on the 460 mhz conventional freqs, but I was surprised at what LITTLE radio traffic I heard when compared to other large cities.

Drowsiness

Yeah, hehe, last time I owned a scanner (about 2 years ago) I was getting lots of voice on the Boston freqs. Just now... none. Very strange.

Thanks.

garys

Premium Subscriber
A lot of routine stuff is handled via the in vehicle computers. Same for EMS as well. After the initial dispatch you might not hear anything from a unit for the rest of the call. Right now it's not too busy, but it's 0530, so I don't expect it would be. Last night the traffic volume sounded about normal.

Drowsiness

Yeah, but I've heard nothing at all. I just thought it strange. Heck, I just realized that I am getting nothing from BFD either.

Hehe, maybe it is still too early.

ecps92

Double check your PL/DPL Tone, Boston left 118.8 for DPL Tones years ago, that could be the issue

I used the database to grab the frequencies for my BC346XT and saw nothing mentioning digital there, but I am hearing NOTHING out of Boston aside from BAPERN transmissions. Anyone know what I am missing here?

I used FreeScan to load this up.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but I've heard nothing at all. I just thought it strange. Heck, I just realized that I am getting nothing from BFD either.

Hehe, maybe it is still too early.

Make sure you didn't somehow lock out either the systems or the all of the individual channels. I did that once and it took me a few days to realize it. I'm listening right now and there seems to be the normal amount of traffic.

I did a test download of Boston Police and Fire using Free Scan and the RR interface, to make sure the information was correct. It looked fine as far as frequencies and DPL, so that's not the problem.

BFD is even a bit busier than normal.

Drowsiness

Thanks ecps92 and garys.

I have checked both SNE and RR for the frequencies and tones and aside from a few minor differences (RR was a bit outdated it seemed), everything is in order.

I have not locked out any systems (I've checked numerous times since you suggested it) but still nothing at all being received.

To clarify... my neighborhood is Charlestown and I do not even receive A-1/A-7.

Medford, Somerville, Stoneham, etc. all receive fine and though I know they are not exactly the same systems as Boston, they show the scanner at least works. Right? :D

garys

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh! I don' t know if they've fixed it yet, but yesterday morning all Area A units were moved to Channel 1 (460.350) because Channel 2 went down. It being a holiday weekend, it's possible that it's still down..

Try that. And if you haven't try some other districts as well just to see if you are receiving them.

Nope, they are back on Channel 2. I put my 396XT in system hold and it's picking up the normal volume of radio traffic.

Thanks ecps92 and garys.

I have checked both SNE and RR for the frequencies and tones and aside from a few minor differences (RR was a bit outdated it seemed), everything is in order.

I have not locked out any systems (I've checked numerous times since you suggested it) but still nothing at all being received.

To clarify... my neighborhood is Charlestown and I do not even receive A-1/A-7.

Medford, Somerville, Stoneham, etc. all receive fine and though I know they are not exactly the same systems as Boston, they show the scanner at least works. Right? :D

Last edited:

Drowsiness

Ahhhh! I don' t know if they've fixed it yet, but yesterday morning all Area A units were moved to Channel 1 (460.350) because Channel 2 went down. It being a holiday weekend, it's possible that it's still down..

Try that. And if you haven't try some other districts as well just to see if you are receiving them.

Nope, they are back on Channel 2. I put my 396XT in system hold and it's picking up the normal volume of radio traffic.

It's a shame.

Which area do you listen to? Maybe I can lock on to one of those and see if I pick anything up.

kennyblues

Just in the last 5 minuets or so from Rockland I've had
460.4500(331) Area A
460.2250(343) Area B
460.1750(364) Area C
460.5000(351) Area D
483.1625 (174) BFD 1
462.9750(151.4) EMS Dispatch
This is on a 396 T with a portable antenna, So things apparently are working OK. Check out your radios antenna and or location of the radio.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame.

Which area do you listen to? Maybe I can lock on to one of those and see if I pick anything up.

All of them, pretty much. As well as BFD and BEMS. Except for BEMS dispatch, because I have to listen to that at work. :lol: Put in the Transit PD 470.6625 131.8 and see if you hear them. They are a separate agency but most of their units operate in Boston.

If there is a way you can send me your Free Scan file I'll be more than happy to take a look at it, just in case there is some error that you haven't caught. It never hurts to have a second set of eyes look at a file when you're having problems.

Drowsiness

All of them, pretty much. As well as BFD and BEMS. Except for BEMS dispatch, because I have to listen to that at work. :lol: Put in the Transit PD 470.6625 131.8 and see if you hear them. They are a separate agency but most of their units operate in Boston.

If there is a way you can send me your Free Scan file I'll be more than happy to take a look at it, just in case there is some error that you haven't caught. It never hurts to have a second set of eyes look at a file when you're having problems.

You were right... it WAS something I was missing.

FreeSCAN decided to assign QuickKey 22 to the Boston group I made and it also managed (even though they were in last night) to remove the tones from the channels I set.

Well, I fixed all of that and NOW I have activity. Thank you all very much for the help, it is really appreciated and now I can finally listen. You all rock!

garys

Premium Subscriber
You were right... it WAS something I was missing.

FreeSCAN decided to assign QuickKey 22 to the Boston group I made and it also managed (even though they were in last night) to remove the tones from the channels I set.

Well, I fixed all of that and NOW I have activity. Thank you all very much for the help, it is really appreciated and now I can finally listen. You all rock!

Cool beans. Glad we could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.