Boston Public Safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I heard rumor that Boston Public Safety will be going digital with in the near future. Anyone else hear of this change? I heard rumors that they are either expanding the Boston City Services system to digital or moving to the Mass. State Police System? But, I also hear the Mass State Police System when it goes digital will be turning into a Mass. Stateside System instead of just State Police. IDK< anyone have any insight? thanks sooo much! :)

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Since the Boston Fire Departmenf put a lot of work into their UHF radio system just a few years ago I doubht they were would ditch it. Where did you hear this rumor? All the towns in the Boston Area have spent alot of money to go to UHF and be interoperable with each other that it wouldn't make sense to switch to a state system.

RKG

1) There are no plans presently on the horizon to convert Boston PD to digital across the board. This is not to say that there may not be a digital channel or two for non-routine traffic.

2) Ditto Boston FD.

3) The existing "State Police" 800 trunked system is a 3600-baud system with some digital talkgroups. It is inevitable that this system will migrate over time to a 9600-baud digital system, if for no other reason than that Motorola has made support of the 3600-baud systems increasingly difficult. I would expect such migration to proceed at a leisurely pace.

4) Depending on what one means by "statewide," the existing Massachusetts 800 trunked system is already "statewide."

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
4) Depending on what one means by "statewide," the existing Massachusetts 800 trunked system is already "statewide."

I think what the OP means is they turn into a system like RISCON in RI, versus just a MSP system.
MSP does all ready handle *some* municipal activity, particularly on Cape Cod, and in Orange & Rehoboth, however the latter two will eventually go on their own systems.

garys

Premium Subscriber
1)
3) The existing "State Police" 800 trunked system is a 3600-baud system with some digital talkgroups. It is inevitable that this system will migrate over time to a 9600-baud digital system, if for no other reason than that Motorola has made support of the 3600-baud systems increasingly difficult. I would expect such migration to proceed at a leisurely pace.

The western MA build out is of a 9600 baud all digital system. That will migrate east, but as you mention, at a leisurely pace. There is only X amount of money allocated to upgrade the system each year. Which you no doubt know.

I think what the OP means is they turn into a system like RISCON in RI, versus just a MSP system.
MSP does all ready handle *some* municipal activity, particularly on Cape Cod, and in Orange & Rehoboth, however the latter two will eventually go on their own systems.

I don't think that the channel capacity exists for a RISCON style system on the MSP trunk. Nor do I think that municipalities that have upgraded their systems with a combination of grant and local funding would be looking to dump all that equipment and buy new 800Mhz equipment for which they are likely to receive little or no assistance from the state or federal governments.

As to the original question, a lot of options are being explored, but I wouldn't expect any changes in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.