Botetourt, Rockbridge, Alleghany, and Roanoke Valley Regional System

JB267

Premium Subscriber
Ok so just a question, if I'm not in the right area for this please point me to the right area. My county operates on a UHF system (450-470) as of right now but we are getting a phase 2 system within the next 2 years and I just need some help with choosing the right radio to buy with obviously not a huge budget im willing to spend at most 2 grand but I'm unsure of what to get the 2 counties bordering the Northside of my county are phase 2 and operates in simulcast frequencies of 450-465 however the regional system to the Southside of my county also have a phase 2 system but their simulcast is in the 850's. I'm pretty sure my county will be joining the Southside system but my department runs alot of mutual aid with one of the northern counties and I need help finding the proper radio to buy. I was looking at an apx 1000 which was phase 2 but it was for 700/800 range can someone please give me some advise on what to buy/look for

TJX400

I guess the most appropriate gage on what radio to buy is to navigate the question of what you'll be using it for? Scanning? Duty use?

The Harris XG100P is an older radio but it is capable of both P25 Phase II and it's full spectrum (VHF/UHF/7-800). If your goal is just to scan, and you want easy programming, get the SDS100/200. They're well below your budget and will decode everything you're wishing to monitor. If you want a more robust radio that covers all bands, but don't want to spend $4,000 or $5,000 on an APX8000, get the XG100P.

You could also score a single band APX6000/APX6000XE for less than $2000 on eBay if you look for the right listing, but I don't think it'd be the wisest use of your money considering you can get a radio that does more for less (XG100).

Another thing to consider is the programming and software required. Programming trunking radios properly is difficult on a good day for a beginner who's never done it before. Also, the software for the Harris radios can get pricey in a hurry. So regardless of price and build quality, if you're just looking to scan and nothing else, I'd strongly recommend the SDS100/200, as there's very little risk involved, and it will help you learn about trunking systems and the basics of programming them.

Side note, there are scanners on the market which are advertised as Phase II capable, however, they cannot *properly* decode simulcast trunking systems. The SDS series from Uniden is are the only scanners fully capable of monitoring a simulcast system. Don't let someone talk you into getting any scanner other than the SDS for simulcast systems, because you'll be disappointed to discover it doesn't decode LSM properly.

JB267

Premium Subscriber
It would be for duty use, I don't know much about Harris im a beginner so I don't know the ins and outs but I've taught myself most of what I know I was looking more for something motorola cause everyone I know talks badly about harris but I'd be willing to give it a shot but the only thing I worry about is programming I have no clue on anything relating to harris programming or what software I would even need

TJX400

It would be for duty use, I don't know much about Harris im a beginner so I don't know the ins and outs but I've taught myself most of what I know I was looking more for something motorola cause everyone I know talks badly about harris but I'd be willing to give it a shot but the only thing I worry about is programming I have no clue on anything relating to harris programming or what software I would even need
Fair enough. I usually prefer my Motorolas to be honest with you, however, my XG100P is a very capable radio, and in most cases, performs similarly to my APXs.

Not sure how it works out west where you are, but out here, it's pretty rare to see a personally owned radio used on a public safety trunking system. You should contact the person(s) in charge of the system(s) you're looking to use the radio on before making this purchase - because they may be able to either provide you a radio, or discuss your ideas further with you. Usually the system administrator is under ECC.

Nonetheless, my previous statement stands with my recommendations; a Harris radio for the all band functionality or an APX for the monoband radio. It's really up to your specific needs, and if you're able to get the system admin to approve a privately owned radio on the PS trunking system.

JB267

Premium Subscriber
Thank you its much appreciated, I suppose harris it is, could you recommend me where I could acquire the software for the xg100p and maybe a few pointers on differences in harris and motorolas software?

TJX400

Thank you its much appreciated, I suppose harris it is, could you recommend me where I could acquire the software for the xg100p and maybe a few pointers on differences in harris and motorolas software?
New London Technologies is a shop based out of Lynchburg that sells Harris equipment. I'd start there for the software. I believe Harris sells a package of the new RPM2 and old RPM1. If not, I've seen disks floating around on eBay before that will work fine.

All things considered, the very basic concepts of the Harris software are the same as those of Motorola. The way each software is setup varies a bit. The biggest thing to note, is that the term "Zone" in the Harris world, is quite a bit different than that of the Motorola world. For Moto, a zone is a "bank" of channels for lack of a better term. For Harris, the idea behind their "Zone" is to mix trunking and conventional channels together into one "bank".

Otherwise, the only huge differences to note are; in order to create a bank/Motorola type zone in a Harris radio, you have to make a dedicated system for each group of channels you want. For example, my XG100s have 3 "banks" for my county. 1: Fire/EMS, 2 Gov't, and 3: Interop. While all of these talkgroups exist on the same physical trunking system, in the Harris radio, you have to create a dedicated "system" for each group/bank/zone of channels you want. Hopefully this makes sense.

Creating a dedicated system for each group of channels is not as difficult as creating a true system in a Motorola radio. This is because of "sets". You are able to create a "set", which is essentially a list, of frequencies, talkgroups, WACN/SYS IDs, and IDEN/Band Plans. Thus, when you go to create the "system" in the software, you can select the "set" for each of the previously listed variables, instead of having to enter them all again.

You'll also find that RPM is quite a bit less laggy compared to APX CPS, which, depending on the size of the codeplug, can be absolutely unbearable at times. As far as software goes, you'll need RPM14. RPM14 is referred to as RPM, RPM1, and RPM14. All three of those terms refer to the same software. RPM2 is not capable of programming the XG100P.

ZeroGravity

Premium Subscriber
1) It has not been decided what the Botetourt Radio system will be (Motorola, L3Harris, etc.). Trying to purchase a (personal) radio to operate on this non-existent system is premature.

2) Programming a radio on a trunked radio system requires permission from the system administrator. If you don't know whether the new system will allow personally owned radios, purchasing a (personal) radio to operate on this non-existent system is premature.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
1) It has not been decided what the Botetourt Radio system will be (Motorola, L3Harris, etc.). Trying to purchase a (personal) radio to operate on this non-existent system is premature.

2) Programming a radio on a trunked radio system requires permission from the system administrator. If you don't know whether the new system will allow personally owned radios, purchasing a (personal) radio to operate on this non-existent system is premature.

Everything he said.. plus once you find out if they will even allow personal radios, you need to purchase something that your primary agency is able to program or have programmed. Don't expect the admins for a system that is all Motorola to support Harris or Kenwood, etc. More than likely they aren't going to allow personal radios anyway.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
So what they are all saying is....
Talk to someone in charge of communications division.
Find out if they will allow a personal radio on the system.
If so, get their recommendation on which radio to buy and if they will program it