Bought an original Slinky Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogan

But I can't stop playing with it. Sent it down the escalator in the mall etc. Ok I am gonna make an antenna tomorrow. Got some stranded feed wire, PVC 1/2" for the ends, solder, soldering iron Aligator clip for the end. Anybody know how long the feed wire should be or if it matters? How long should I stretch it when useing If it matters? or any suguestions on building or use. And if you have one does it work and do you like it? will it go down an escalator for ever? etc thanks for you input and suguestions....!!
Radio is Sangean ATS-909 not X but the last of the models before it. If it works I may put a male plug on the end for the antenna jack.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I doubt that the feed line length will make any difference. I've heard all sorts of stuff all over the place about using the original version of the Slinky as an antenna. But one or two things stand out - it works better the longer you stretch it out. You may also find that the lead in is loading more as the antenna than the Slinky.

The alligator clip will certainly work on an indoor installation (I would try to get down to the bare metal to make the connection), but outdoors I can see potential issues. Soldering anything to the Slinky (which I think the original one was made of a steel alloy) is going to be a challenge due to the dissimilar metals, and the fact that the Slinky is a great heat sink.

Still there's nothing wrong with experimenting. I'd be kinda surprised if it worked well, but if it does - hey, no need to knock good results...best regards..Mike

k9rzz

Fun stuff!

Slink1.jpg

This was three strung in series BTW.

grogan

The new slinky antenna is complete! Does it work, Yes, at least as good as the Sangean antenna ANT-60 and possibly better. Olny time and expirmenting will tell. A few things about building, I removed the little clips on the slinky to put the slinky thru the holes in the pvc pipe when i was done I soldered the end tips of the slinky Together 1. soldering to a slinky with wire or sliky to slinky metal was easy with a regular soldering iron and good electronics solder. an easy to build project and fun to make!!!

One quick note anybody who comes into the shack will say what the heck is that. And I think it looks cool stretched across the shack!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If nothing else the neighbors' questions are interesting, sarcastic answers keep them guessing, just don't say anything about Al Quida. My friend's was actually taken seriously; "It's an old Polish charm to drive away evil spirits." The good part is his daughter isn't watching a blank TV screen... "They're heeere."

lanbergld

I used to run the slinky feedline right into the hi-z antenna input, on receivers such as the Icom IC-R75. Fanastic reception of sideband utilities. The slinky I also used with excellent results on VHF too. Its simple, fun and works. Which, I might add, is why I think some folks don't use it. They think all antennas must be serious, expensive and physically impressive structures. Ever seen people use the phrase "real antenna"? Me I just want what works, as simple as possible, am not worried about looking serious

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.