Bought surge protector with best reviews, question about a lug on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoHuskerDu

Longtime VFD, rusty old scanner
Premium Subscriber
This surge protector is for an rx-only 450Mhz full wave magmount scanner antenna on a metal carport roof. The protector will be grounded to the metal legs of the carport via the stiff 6ga wire you see. The crimping and stripping tools in view are from my days just out of college, installing 800Mhz 4w analog 1st- gen cell phones in cars. 3 companies failed in 8 months, one never even paid me, so I switched to software. I got trained well by AT&T, so we did a good install including the antenna with RG58 and a 259 on the transceiver in the trunk. My crimping tools still work like a charm.

Looking over all that Bezoszon had for sale, many looked like junk and comments supported that. This one had the best reviews and no comments about it being cheap Chinesium. It seems sturdy and is actually made in Japan, despite its poor instructions. There is no mention in the instructions about the large smooth lug on the bottom. Soldering to that would overheat everything, and it doesn't appear to be its purpose. Anybody have an idea?

GroundArrestor.jpg

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Is this it?
That sticker is upside down on yours, and diamond has it listed as discontinued. Did you buy NOS from someone?

Yep, that's it. It was on Bezoszon, with good reviews from guys like us. Surprising how many hams are in there.

This fleabay antenna actually goes down into negative waves from other dimensions and has 6 Million dogDB gain. I keep hearing Dr Emilio Lizardo cackling on and on. I'm starting to worry.

In a related thread, I started out planning a roof mount discone using an abandoned Huge Satellite installation with F type conectors and RG6. I was talked out of that due to its length and poor lightning resistance, the AC ground being all the way around the house. Someone very memorable and reasonable suggested that I try a magnet mount first, then go to NMO later if I like the reception. Just tonight my boys called successfully from 7 miles away using 8w GMRS, relatively hilly terrain. The little Lizardo magmount picked them up first.

n5ims

While the device has been discontinued, apparently you can still get replacement cartridges (Diamond Surge Protectors CA23RS CA23RW CA35RS). Be aware that some devices allow the cartridge to be replaced while others do not. Replacement instructions should be part of the instructions that came with the device as well as with the replacement cartridge. It's possible that you may need to unscrew the grounding screw first and then unscrew the lug to remove (I don't have that model so I can't say for certain). If you look at the replacement cartridge picture from the above link, it may help out. Unless that lug has a larger hole in the device, the listed replacement may not be correct (call prior to ordering to be sure!). The ones I use have similar looking cartridges and a large hole that screws into the device (with a rubber ring to seal things).

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the recommended freqs now, thank you. Quite a tangled web trying to find the right one for 450Mhz. Looks like the CA23RS is the best match. Diamond lists it as N type, but several vendors have it for sale in 259/239. I found one on fleabay for a low enough price to keep it in a drawer as a spare.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking at the recommended freqs now, thank you. Quite a tangled web trying to find the right one for 450Mhz. Looks like the CA23RS is the best match. Diamond lists it as N type, but several vendors have it for sale in 259/239. I found one on fleabay for a low enough price to keep it in a drawer as a spare.

Buying used protectors online is like buying used fuses, used fire extinguishers, used climbing harnesses, etc. You want to be cautious with that.

Also, you can get a much wider selection of frequencies, power levels, DC pass or DC blocking, as well as connector types if you go the commercial equipment route. Polyphaser is well respected in the industry.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Buying used protectors online is like buying used fuses, used fire extinguishers, used climbing harnesses, etc. You want to be cautious with that.

Also, you can get a much wider selection of frequencies, power levels, DC pass or DC blocking, as well as connector types if you go the commercial equipment route. Polyphaser is well respected in the industry.

We are in violent agreement. I would not buy used consumables. Some A'zon buyers commented that these protectors are new Diamonds, in the Diamond box. Diamond is also well respected if I understand correctly. So I'm snapping up a couple spares.

RenoHuskerDu

Premium Subscriber
Diamond has some credibility in the hobby markets. Not so much in the commercial world. If they work for you, then that's all that matters.

Thanks, I didn't know that Diamond's rep was inferior to Polyphaser. It's difficult to judge what will work well, as the test is usually destructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.