Boulder FD Tone-Outs Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

epbernstein

In the past couple of weeks something has changed with Boulder City Fire--they used to use a series of 3 DTMF tones followed by a two-tone sequence. Now, unless multiple stations are being toned they use only the DTMF tones.

If Pridemark is also being dispatched, the scanners pick up that tone, but if a single engine is being sent on an assist or to check an alarm, the scanners miss it.

Anyone know why it changed? Chris?

Its been like that for a couple months at least now. The main reason I believe for this change is because in 2007 Boulder Fire will have there own dispatch channel. That will then create it so the Boulder Fire doesn't have to be bothered with listening to the many other calls around the county. Why they got rid of the two-tone this early I don't know.

Also true as you said the two-tone page for boulder fire isn't aired unless more than one station is being paged, for example a structure fire. Now they just soley use DTMF for single station paging. 1 1 1 for station 1, 2 2 2 for station 2 and so on.

epbernstein

chris_a_rodgers said:
Its been like that for a couple months at least now. The main reason I believe for this change is because in 2007 Boulder Fire will have there own dispatch channel. That will then create it so the Boulder Fire doesn't have to be bothered with listening to the many other calls around the county. Why they got rid of the two-tone this early I don't know.

Also true as you said the two-tone page for boulder fire isn't aired unless more than one station is being paged, for example a structure fire. Now they just soley use DTMF for single station paging. 1 1 1 for station 1, 2 2 2 for station 2 and so on.

Kinda defeats the FTO feature of the 396 and 996, unfortunately...

Yeah that does make that feature pointless now when listening to them. But when they move to their own channel it would make it almost the same as when Boulder fire had two-tone because the FTO would alert you the same no matter what station was being paged out since the Boulder tone was the same for each station, it was just the DTMF that was different.

The only way I know how to help you would be to buy an inexpensive 2-way radio that does dtmf decode, such as my Vertex radio that does both DTMF and two-tone.

epbernstein

chris_a_rodgers said:
Yeah that does make that feature pointless now when listening to them. But when they move to their own channel it would make it almost the same as when Boulder fire had two-tone because the FTO would alert you the same no matter what station was being paged out since the Boulder tone was the same for each station, it was just the DTMF that was different.

The only way I know how to help you would be to buy an inexpensive 2-way radio that does dtmf decode, such as my Vertex radio that does both DTMF and two-tone.

I suppose in the big picture it's not that big a deal. The only time I use FTO is when I'm watching TV or am otherwise engaged, in which case I wouldn't want the one-station, non-medical calls to interrupt me anyway. If it's a medical or a full first alarm, the scanner will catch it...

Status
Not open for further replies.