Boulder Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

kib669

Looks like Boulder PD and FD are prepairing to move everything to narrowband. All of their licenses have been modified to include the NB designator. Does anyone know when they plan to make this move? The FD has been on NB every since they got their own frequency for dispatch, but Red 2 is still wideband. Also, the police department has some additional frequencies licensed. Does anyone know anything about them:

WQKU687 159.1125 Boulder Highschool
WQKU687 159.1125 Fairview Highschool
WQLF581 151.0925 Mobile
WQLF581 156.1575 Mobile

jfab

I really hope they aren't. The Moto Spectra I just put in my car wont be able to hear them if they do.Does anyone have anymore info on this?

resq197

They're going; it's just a matter of when. narrowband.

I'm actually really glad to see this, if they go to narrowband and expand their existing system, it should indicate that they aren't moving off VHF any time soon. They will have more channels available and continue to have the great coverage and low cost that they have now.

Also, if you're just monitoring with an old radio, the worst case is that you would only be able to get to within 2.5-5KHz of the new frequency and the audio will be a little low and possibly distorted. Even if you can do the new splits, crank the volume up a bit and you should be fine.

I have to say though, I never will completely understand why people like buying commercial gear rather than a scanner - they're designed for two different uses and a transceiver will never come close to the capabilities of a scanner for monitoring regardless of the band or how much money you can afford to shell out – not to mention the real trouble you can get yourself into if you ever feel the urge to press that PTT.

-Brian

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The Moto Spectra I just put in my car wont be able to hear them if they do.
No problems with BFD & Clear Creek County which are narrowband on an MT1K. Just have to bring the volume up a little higher.

Same should be true for the Spectra.

Everything VHF/UHF are required to go narrowband by 2013. So there's a few more years left for legal use of "wideband" gear on the non ham bands.

resq197 said:
I never will completely understand why people like buying commercial gear rather than a scanner

I use moto gear for Ham radio. Also doubles for monitoring VHF agencies and since the daytime job is in Boulder/Boulder county it works great for monitoring the area at the office.

jfab

I had the spectra programmed by the guy I bought it from to not TX, and I don't have any software/cables/knowledge to change that. So, no trouble for me. I just like to "collect" different radios/scanners. That's part of the hobby, dont cha think?

Don't worry, I'm not going to jeopardize Boulder County Public Safety officials by having the spectra. That being said, Blue channel does provide most of the listening on the spectra, so I hope it will still work. Phil, I was told by the seller of the radio that it would not operate on narrowband, is this not true?

Thanks!

resq197

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you for the Spectra, they're great radios just not great scanners. I tend to be a bit sensitive about things in Boulder and Larimer since I used to see strange things all the time - from people modifying their ham radios to use on the systems to having their 110W Spectras transmit on repeater outputs and trashing the whole system. Ultimately, it boils down to responsibility and knowledge regardless of what you’re doing – officially authorized or not. Having that setup to RX only is a good choice.

-Brian

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
I was told by the seller of the radio that it would not operate on narrowband, is this not true?

The only impact on reception would be reduced audio on narrowband channels and louder squelch tails if you are in monitor/non PL receive.

Channels such as FIRE-1 151.3775 would be programmed as 151.375 and still work to receive.

Provided there are no changes to PL when they change the repeaters such as BLUE to narrowband you should be fine. Switching to narrowband does not mean having to change to new/different frequencies.

Transmitting is not compliant for narrowband use with these old radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.