Boundary County (possibly Bonner County) unknown phone patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Several times today I got what sounded like a autopatch on 172.525. It had speed dial to connect to a dispatcher (I believe). It sounded like radio techs because the last autopatch call was them clearing the site and the dispatcher said standby, showing no alarms your cleared to leave.

I checked the FCC database and it shows nothing, but that doesn't remove Federal users.
Any Ideas?

ecps92

Any PL/DPL or NAC??

Last I had that Freq was assigned to the Dept of Energy, in particular for ID it is Bonneville Power Administration

And yup that band is Federal and not handled by the FCC, it is under the NTIA
Several times today I got what sounded like a autopatch on 172.525. It had speed dial to connect to a dispatcher (I believe). It sounded like radio techs because the last autopatch call was them clearing the site and the dispatcher said standby, showing no alarms your cleared to leave.

I checked the FCC database and it shows nothing, but that doesn't remove Federal users.
Any Ideas?

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
Any PL/DPL or NAC??

Last I had that Freq was assigned to the Dept of Energy, in particular for ID it is Bonneville Power Administration

And yup that band is Federal and not handled by the FCC, it is under the NTIA

I didn't look closely at the display to see if it had a tone. I don't believe it was digital, if it was it was the best sounding digital signal I have ever heard. lol (I am 99% sure it was analog).

p1879

BPA may still have some mountaintop vhf repeaters that re-transmit stream data. The techs could have been up at one of them. BPA had one in Clearwater County in the 80's. Boundary County also has USFS and lots of CBP, etc activity, including sensors on trails and roads that used radio at one point, not sure these days.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
That is a common Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) frequency in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

I hear phone patches on it fairly often. Apparently not much cellular coverage where many the line crews work...

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.