Bowling Green Fire?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorny41587

Does ANYONE know anything on Bowling Green Fire? I've never heard Bowling Green Fire once, they are on none of the freq's listed. HelP!

FCC licensing shows them to have 20 mobiles on 153.890 and a vehicular repeater on 159.360 (callsign WQCR602):

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=2716586

I couldn't find anything else for BGFD. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a repeater pair somewhere else, though, given their size. While unlikely, they could be renting use of a repeater from a private firm, which would make it tougher to find them. But then again, that's what makes this hobby fun, no?

Thorny41587

Do you think maybe they just don't use radios? I find that very unlikey but... I've been looking for two years and have not found it.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"Do you think maybe they just don't use radios?"

No.

Are you sure they aren't on the Wood Co Fire frequencies?

What happened when you asked the department?

No... I'm sure they use radios... a million years ago when I lived in BG I used to hear them on the radio all the time. Where are you located in relation to BG? If BGFD's using simplex on County Fire, you may not be within their range.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
X1536 said:
Does ANYONE know anything on Bowling Green Fire? I've never heard Bowling Green Fire once, they are on none of the freq's listed. HelP!
Well looking at the database info for Wood County, it shows that ALL of the county's fire frequencies are simplex. I'm not familiar with the area, but the FD you are looking for has to be on one of those frequencies, which means the FD is using simplex. Basically, you need to be close to the transmitting site to be able to hear them.

Thorny41587

True, BUT I can hear thier dispatch. And I'd be able to hear them dispatched, I can hear Pemberville dispatched and that's further than BG. It's a mystery! No one knows!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Call them up and ask. Or take a close-call radio and hang out around the station, and if they go on a call follow and dedicate your scanner to closecall.

X1536 said:
True, BUT I can hear thier dispatch. And I'd be able to hear them dispatched, I can hear Pemberville dispatched and that's further than BG. It's a mystery! No one knows!

Not really so much of a mystery: Comm centers using high-powered base station radios with antennas on tall towers are going to have *much* greater range than the responding units. For example, where I live, I can hear Noble, Oklahoma PD/FD/EMS base, but not the units (gee I wish they'd get a repeater... lol).

Pemberville might have a better base system (higher power, higher-profile antenna, etc.) than BG... and there may be different obstacles in between you and Pemberville than you and BG. A quick look back at the licenses for BGFD and Pemberville Freedom FD (PFFD) shows that the PFFD mobiles are rated for 25 Watts ERP, and the BGFD units are rated for 2 Watts ERP. Considering ERP alone, that gives PFFD units somewhat more than 10 times the range of the BGFD mobiles. Here's the data for the PFFD license:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=1290760

Since BGFD's license is for mobiles only, I wonder if they're dispatched by another agency... yet another explanation for you hearing dispatch but not the units.

Another possibility is that they are using a crossband repeater.

:)

Last edited:

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Not really so much of a mystery: Comm centers using high-powered base station radios with antennas on tall towers are going to have *much* greater range than the responding units. For example, where I live, I can hear Noble, Oklahoma PD/FD/EMS base, but not the units (gee I wish they'd get a repeater... lol).

Same around here. Union County is simplex, with their antenna mounted on a very tall tower. Because of the height, transmitting range is much more than the mobiles, which are at ground level, so they are "line of sight". :)

Thorny41587

Well, 153.89 is Wood County Fire Disp. I think I have heard every station except BG disptached on it. Even when they do a weather alert they skip over BG. So I am thinking they dispatch for thierselfs. I am sur they are VHF tho.

mlinthicum

If they only have a single station, it's possible that don't tranmit their dispatches over a radio. Onscene communications may be on low power, which may not reach much further then a couple of miles. I've been through that are several times, and heard Wood County dispatch calls, but I've never heard Bowling Green FD.

It's also possible they're using Nextel.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I can't imagine that any fire department anywhere would use NEXTEL... That seems like it wouldn't work very well in a fire environment.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
X1536 said:
Well, 153.89 is Wood County Fire Disp. I think I have heard every station except BG disptached on it. Even when they do a weather alert they skip over BG. So I am thinking they dispatch for thierselfs. I am sur they are VHF tho.
Have you tried 159.360 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.