• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BPR40 - UHF radio programmed to VHF channel(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig71188

I got a deal on a dozen BPR40 radios/chargers/programming software/etc. that I intend to use in our race car. I have tried to do my homework and so I set up a Windows XP computer with a dedicated 9 pin com port for programming. My software is version R02.03. All the radios are Model AAH84RCS8AA1AN which I show are 8 channel UHF radios. I did find the programming software a bit finicky to get to hook up to the radios, but the surprise (to me) came when the software hooked up, read and showed these radios were programmed to a VHF frequency of 151.71500. My original plan was to apply for a GMRS license and use 8 of those frequencies in these radios. Now I have a couple questions:
1) Obviously it is possible to program these radios to VHF - is it advisable? (I have other folks we race with that do use VHF and having common frequencies has some advantages).
2) If I go the VHF route, do I file for a "restricted commercial operator" and am I limited to one channel? Since we race in an amateur series in various parts of the country, I would like to have a choice in channels in case we conflict with another team.

A little guidance on a course of action before I move forward with this would be appreciated.

firetech02

They must be vhf and not uhf radios. That being said they cannot be programmed with uhf frequencies

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You could always program them for MURS. You technically need a different radio for it to be part certified for that service but it's pretty unlikely using that one would be an issue. Being a few watts over on an uncertified radio would be incredibly cumbersome for someone to figure out. Technically you can apply for a license on an Itinerant frequency but I suspect of other people are using vhf they are doing the same thing. I also suspect people with uhf radios probably are using FRS or GMRS and a fair amount aren't using the right radio or have a license. Not saying it's the "right way" to do things, just saying it's usually how the world works.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've got a LOT of experience with BPR40s. Most of them end up going deaf due to bad 2nd IF filters so you might want to check on that.

You should definitely not be able to program VHF frequencies into a UHF radio or vice versa. No idea what's going on there, I've never seen that happen before with a BPR40.

If the radios are hard of hearing or deaf, don't put any money into them. They're the cheapest radio ever to shame Motorola's name and I would never dream of suggesting them for racing. I really think
they are horrible little turds and I would not waste a second on them. Get some CP200s in good shape instead, they're massively superior products and you can get them really cheap, too. And they are far more reliable.

I spent seven years fixing BPR40s and it wasn't long before I wanted to fix them all with a sledgehammer. I usually love Motorola products but not THAT one!

craig71188

I've got a LOT of experience with BPR40s. Most of them end up going deaf due to bad 2nd IF filters so you might want to check on that.

You should definitely not be able to program VHF frequencies into a UHF radio or vice versa. No idea what's going on there, I've never seen that happen before with a BPR40.

Since I got 12 of them (plus the charges/software/etc) for about $15 a radio, and a quick check shows 10 of the 12 seem to be working OK we will use them to start with and upgrade later. We also use a 2 radio harness in the car so we have a backup at the flip of a switch. If they get us through a couple of years before they all die, I'm, OK with that.

The VHF frequency in a UHF radio is still the puzzler. I'm a "nut and bolt" guy - some basic wiring, but not electronics. My very limited understanding says "that's impossible that can't happen" - but....

craig71188

You could always program them for MURS. You technically need a different radio for it to be part certified for that service but it's pretty unlikely using that one would be an issue. Being a few watts over on an uncertified radio would be incredibly cumbersome for someone to figure out. Technically you can apply for a license on an Itinerant frequency but I suspect of other people are using vhf they are doing the same thing. I also suspect people with uhf radios probably are using FRS or GMRS and a fair amount aren't using the right radio or have a license. Not saying it's the "right way" to do things, just saying it's usually how the world works.

I hear you. At least one guy I know bought a radio set up from one of the race radio companies brand new. I asked him what frequency he has, did they get him a license, etc. His response was basically, I bought them, they work, I don't know. I still have to get a hold of one of his radios and see what frequency(ies) his radios are set up on.

craig71188

They must be vhf and not uhf radios. That being said they cannot be programmed with uhf frequencies

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I know I'm responding to these in "reverse order" (sorry) - I suppose I will have to use my "test radio" and see if I can load the UHF frequencies. All the fully functional radios communicate with one another and all are tagged with the same model # for an 8 channel UHF radio.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It's been three years since I programmed a BPR40. So my memory of whether or not it is possible to type in VHF OR UHF frequencies into the CPS is unclear.

I may have to install the software on my laptop and find out.

But you can test that for yourself. Just read the file FROM DISK, and see if you can type in both UHF and VHF frequencies and see if it gives any errors.

If it doesn't, then it just means there's no band error checking on that version of the CPS, and that
is a sloppy and basic mistake I generally associate with trash tier brands like Icom.

craig71188

But you can test that for yourself. Just read the file FROM DISK, and see if you can type in both UHF and VHF frequencies and see if it gives any errors.

If it doesn't, then it just means there's no band error checking on that version of the CPS, and that
is a sloppy and basic mistake I generally associate with trash tier brands like Icom.

So...yes, I can check this out easily enough (as far as ability to write to the radios). Is there any detriment to longevity/performance using a UHF radio for VHF (working on the assumption these are not in some way "mismarked" on the model number)?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
So...yes, I can check this out easily enough (as far as ability to write to the radios). Is there any detriment to longevity/performance using a UHF radio for VHF (working on the assumption these are not in some way "mismarked" on the model number)?

If they actually talk to eachother with decent output, I can only think something is mis-marked. A UHF BPR is flat out unable to transmit on VHF. It just won't do it, the oscillator won't do those frequencies. In terms of feasability, being on VHF for a traditional UHF transmitter (for a very simple analogy) isn't at all like walking into another room. It's like walking to mars.

craig71188

OK, so the FNG is a moron....
I got a chance to sit down with the pile of radios today to start programming. Despite what I was told (and despite my quick inspection), there were two "orphans' in the mix. One was the VHF radio that started all the fuss - and it is marked correctly (duh! - sorry). The other is not an "AA" market, but an "AZ" market UHF that I do not have the correct software to do.

One last question (I hope) - will an "AZ" radio clone off and "AA" radio? I know my programming software won't talk to it, but will it take data from a different market codeplug radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.