BR-330T service manual / LCD info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik-0

I have an out-of-warranty Uniden BR-330T with a tilted LCD (see attached) and need either a service manual or information about how the LCD is mounted before I open it up and try to fix it. Is it soldered to the board or is it just wedged in and attached via ribbon cable? If anyone has a scanned/PDF service manual, knows what is involved in dismantling it, or has any internal pictures, please help.

Attachments

• BR330T_screen_tilt.jpg
    BR330T_screen_tilt.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 297

Sputnik-0

Hmm, another question: has anyone else had, heard of, or even seen this particular problem before, or am I just that lucky? :lol:

agalipe1

its mounted right to board although the board might not be flush and that could tilt screen a bit its real easy to take apart i am wainting for serial port for scanner i already unsoldered the old one i will take pics of insides if you want them

Sputnik-0

bonus1331 said:
I'm not 'that lucky" but I do remember a thread with others having this issue.

Was it on this particular forum? I searched up and down, and couldn't find a mention. :confused:

agalipe1 said:
its mounted right to board although the board might not be flush and that could tilt screen a bit its real easy to take apart i am wainting for serial port for scanner i already unsoldered the old one i will take pics of insides if you want them

Yeah, pics would be great, thanks; if only to see the board/screw posts I'll be up against. The guy (shop) I bought it from asked his technician if it was an easy or doable fix, to which he replied "I can't get in there". Heh, made me think that there might be some kind of super-glued shielding or something 'in there'.

agalipe1

screen pic

Hi here is pic of screen and board

Attachments

• screenre.JPG
    screenre.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Sputnik-0

agalipe1 said:
Hi here is pic of screen and board

Wow, that was quick, 4 minutes. :eek: Is that clear plastic? the only thing holding it in place? If so, maybe it just knocked loose in mine.

agalipe1

more pics (and there are six screws on the inside if you miss the top two you wont be able to remove the knob antenna board) and it is plastic covering the screen .if you take scanner apart just be very careful take your time i was able to solder a new serial port in now my scanner works perfect i had connection problems with scanner and computer had to hold pressure on cable to get it to work and new port worked perfect

Attachments

• backcover.JPG
    backcover.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 177
  • inside1.JPG
    inside1.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 189
  • inside2.JPG
    inside2.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Sputnik-0

agalipe1 said:
more pics (and there are six screws on the inside if you miss the top two you wont be able to remove the knob antenna board) and it is plastic covering the screen .if you take scanner apart just be very careful take your time i was able to solder a new serial port in now my scanner works perfect i had connection problems with scanner and computer had to hold pressure on cable to get it to work and new port worked perfect

Thanks for all the pics and info; was very helpful. I ignored the top two inside screws because they didn't look connected to the knob board, but sure enough, it wouldn't come out, so I put the whole thing back together, heh. :roll: Guess I'll have to try again.

mancow

Database Admin
It looks as if it's exactly the same as the 396. I can tell you it's not an easy process. The metal shield is held on by a couple of through board solder points that require quite a bit of heat but it's not too difficult. The LCD is the hardest part. It has a row of L shaped pins that are crimped over the edge of the glass. The bottom of the L is soldered to the board. You have to heat each one and pry it up a bit with a small tool.

It's difficult to say what is causing it to go all black. Have you tried messing with the contrast adjustment menu to see what that does? If nothing changes I would say that the LCD controller may be bad.

When I reassembled mine after changing the LED color I noticed a few small lines and overall darkeness on the display. I went back and reflowed the solder connections. After that it was back to being perfectly normal. It's always possible that there is a cold solder joint on one of the pins too.

Sputnik-0

mancow said:
It looks as if it's exactly the same as the 396. I can tell you it's not an easy process. The metal shield is held on by a couple of through board solder points that require quite a bit of heat but it's not too difficult. The LCD is the hardest part. It has a row of L shaped pins that are crimped over the edge of the glass. The bottom of the L is soldered to the board. You have to heat each one and pry it up a bit with a small tool.

It's difficult to say what is causing it to go all black. Have you tried messing with the contrast adjustment menu to see what that does? If nothing changes I would say that the LCD controller may be bad.

When I reassembled mine after changing the LED color I noticed a few small lines and overall darkeness on the display. I went back and reflowed the solder connections. After that it was back to being perfectly normal. It's always possible that there is a cold solder joint on one of the pins too.

Heh heh, well the black-out was caused intentionally http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_scanner_test_modes ;) to show the screen alignment problem I have (that tilt of the screen is *not* from the camera angle or bad focus), guess I should have pointed that out. Thanks for the shield info though, it is probably quite similar. Perhaps I wasn't too far off with the super-glue comment. I haven't got it apart again yet, but as well as I can see inside, it looks straight with just the case off. I hope it's not just a malformed LCD...

On a side note, I just read your LED thread. Nice- I was thinking of doing a multi-colored mod with some tri-colors (that morph from one color to another automatically) like these: http://www.etgtech.com/2006/html/products.htm :cool:

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I didn't read your post correctly I guess. I was thinking that the blackout was the issue not the physical alignment. I see what you mean now.

Thanks for the comment on the LED thread. I thought about multi colors too but I think they are the 602 size leds so they are super tiny. I didn't see any multi color on that web site in that size package. I don't see how anything bigger would fit without some serious modding but it's a neat idea.

Sputnik-0

Ok well, crap. Looks like I got a factory second or something. The LCD appears to be malformed. It's straight on the board. The crystal layer must have been impregnated at an angle. :mad: Oh well, it was worth a shot...

Photos are a bit blurry, low light and crappy automatic shutter, heh. No real reason to post, but someone might find them useful, who knows?

Attachments

• BR330T_LCD_00.jpg
    BR330T_LCD_00.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 124
  • BR330T_LCD_01.jpg
    BR330T_LCD_01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.