br330t plug problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maalox

hi my 330t was working fine until i ordered a universal ac adapter to use my 330t in the other room i was trying to see what voltage it was now the original adapter that came with the radio dont go on when plugged in. it works with batteries but no twith ac adapter please help. ps i bought the univrsal adapter from advance speciaties.

Last edited:

wyldman

Sounds to me like you may have too much voltage from the universal adaptor,or the polarity is wrong.It may have damaged the radio,that's why it won't work with the old adapter anymore.

maalox

wyldman said:
Sounds to me like you may have too much voltage from the universal adaptor,or the polarity is wrong.It may have damaged the radio,that's why it won't work with the old adapter anymore.
thanks it still works with batterries

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Yep but you may have fried the DC input side of it.

I'd send it back to Uniden under warranty and hope for the best. DONT mention what you did, just tell them it no longer works from the DC socket.

For reference, it's 6 volts DC, centre(er) positive.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
first check the polarity, that may well be the problem, if it is just reverse it and all will be OK. I don't have a 330, but I know some scanners have an internal switch that tells it to work on battery or outside power that also recharges the batteries. See if your scanner has such a switch.

maalox

n4voxgill said:
first check the polarity, that may well be the problem, if it is just reverse it and all will be OK. I don't have a 330, but I know some scanners have an internal switch that tells it to work on battery or outside power that also recharges the batteries. See if your scanner has such a switch.
thanks but the orignal ac adapter that came with the radio does not even work. the person from advance speciaialities sent me the universal adapter. i wil wait to see what they will say. otherwise i can live with the batteries alone . i ordered the 15 minute quick charger.

MarkEagleUSA

I'm guessing that if the original adapter doesn't work, the universal one doesn't either?

If the universal adapter was set for more than 6 volts, you likely fried the protection diode in the scanners DC circuit.

wyldman

Napalm said:
Yep but you may have fried the DC input side of it.

I'd send it back to Uniden under warranty and hope for the best. DONT mention what you did, just tell them it no longer works from the DC socket.

For reference, it's 6 volts DC, centre(er) positive.

Please don't do this,it is fraud.Why lie and send it back for warranty repair when it wasn't Unidens fault ? This just drives up warranty costs,which drives up the price of new scanners.Why do you think so many companies are so reluctant to do warranty repairs in the first place.

Uniden will probably figure out exactly what you did anyways,so you will be on the hook for the repair.So send it in and pay to have it repaired,or try a local radio shop.You could also just stick with using batteries.

Mark01

You most likely have blown some kind of protection
circuit or diode by not having the correct polarity on your universal adapter.I did the same thing on my BCD396T by accidently connecting my adaptaplug on my AC adapter to negative instead of positive.After connecting the two a small puff of smoke came off the scanner and the DC jack worked no more only batteries.You have to wonder why Unidens are made like this if you connected the wrong polarity on a GRE it would have no effect.This is the second Uniden that i've blown a diode once by wrongly connecting the polarity of the wires on a battery pack for a 245XLT and the 396.Uniden fixed mine under warranty.

maalox

advance specialities

Mark01 said:
You most likely have blown some kind of protection
circuit or diode by not having the correct polarity on your universal adapter.I did the same thing on my BCD396T by accidently connecting my adaptaplug on my AC adapter to negative instead of positive.After connecting the two a small puff of smoke came off the scanner and the DC jack worked no more only batteries.You have to wonder why Unidens are made like this if you connected the wrong polarity on a GRE it would have no effect.This is the second Uniden that i've blown a diode once by wrongly connecting the polarity of the wires on a battery pack for a 245XLT and the 396.Uniden fixed mine under warranty.
hi i want to thank you all for your feedback. i just spoke with advance specialities and they agreed to send me another radio when i shipped the broken 330t back. i give them thumbs up and the best customer service yet compared to other that i have dealt with..

Last edited:

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
wyldman said:
Please don't do this,it is fraud.Why lie and send it back for warranty repair when it wasn't Unidens fault ? This just drives up warranty costs,which drives up the price of new scanners.Why do you think so many companies are so reluctant to do warranty repairs in the first place.

Uniden will probably figure out exactly what you did anyways,so you will be on the hook for the repair.So send it in and pay to have it repaired,or try a local radio shop.You could also just stick with using batteries.

I've accidently fried a radio in the past, sent it back (without specifying anything except "will not power up") and had it repair on warranty with no questions asked.

If they charge you for it, because they worked it out, fair is fair, but if not why not send it in. It's Uniden's fault for not making the DC Input idiot proof (no offence to the OP, everyone can be a n idiot at times)

wesct

maalox said:
hi my 330t was working fine until i ordered a universal ac adapter to use my 330t in the other room i was trying to see what voltage it was now the original adapter that came with the radio dont go on when plugged in. it works with batteries but no twith ac adapter please help. ps i bought the univrsal adapter from advance speciaties.

working fine till i bought the wrong adapter and then proceeded to plug it in....

i guess the real question is- what was wrong with the original adapter that came with the radio?

wesct

maalox

wesct said:
working fine till i bought the wrong adapter and then proceeded to plug it in....

i guess the real question is- what was wrong with the original adapter that came with the radio?

wesct
there was nothing wrong . i just bought a spare adapter and like one person said it melted/fried the ac adapter plug in connector but still worked with batteries just fine.

kskarma

I have always been taught that the 'active ingredient' in any electronic component is the 'smoke'. I believe this to be true, because when I do something to a scanner, radio, tv or anything else....and...I let some of the 'smoke' out..the device no longer works...SO..I guess that is proof. You just gotta keep the smoke from escaping if you want things to work for a long time. Hope this advice helps us all......<GRINS>

Status
Not open for further replies.