Br330t reception issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have the scpd mot type 2 rebanded system in my br330 and no matter what settings I play with, the reception is on the scratchy side. The signal meter fluctuates on the comms, and when locked on the control channel. On my pro 95 or 93, the system sounds very clear. Does anyone here have a br330 and listen to scpd or any rebanded type 2 mot system and have this issue? It happens inside and out. Att on and off. With rs 800 Mhz ant or stock Uniden ant. Close to or far from an actual transmitter. No matter what and where, it always acts as shown in the video...

Br330t - YouTube

Last edited:

W6KRU

Maybe you should ask this question in the NY forum. Most of us have no idea what your local conditions might be,

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I asked here in hopes that someone with the same radio listening to a mot type 2 rebanded system might be experiencing the same issue with cc signal and have some input...Its not specific to just one system, I get this issue on 2 different mot type 2 systems and no matter the location or antenna I have the same results..

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What you are experiencing is not common to either the scanner nor Motorola Type 2 Rebanded (or otherwise) systems. The audio sounds like it would for a weak signal. This would indicate either an antenna problem (which you seem to have ruled out), a physical problem with the connection (i.e. broken connection inside the scanner), or some other component failure. Note, though, that all of these would affect all reception, not just reception on that system.

TEH

BR-330T reception

Hello from Florida,

After seeing your post, I fired up my BR-330T, and BCD-396T. Putting the radios side by side, and moving them around, I found the 330 usually showed 1-2 bars LESS signal strength than the 396 on the Motorola 800 trunk system in my county, using the factory-supplied rubber duck antennas. I then swapped antennas between the radios. That seemed to increase sensitivity of the 330, causing more signal strength bars to appear. Reception sounded about the same on both radios.

You might try using a different antenna. Disconnect the factory antenna if you're using it, attach the adapter so you can connect a BNC, and use the antenna from your Radio Shack scanner to see if it makes any difference.

Also, if any of your friends have a Uniden scanner with the same antenna connection as the 330, do a temporary antenna swap and compare signal strength of the 2 scanners.

Good luck.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What you are experiencing is not common to either the scanner nor Motorola Type 2 Rebanded (or otherwise) systems. The audio sounds like it would for a weak signal. This would indicate either an antenna problem (which you seem to have ruled out), a physical problem with the connection (i.e. broken connection inside the scanner), or some other component failure. Note, though, that all of these would affect all reception, not just reception on that system.

I am not sure what it is. The audio does sound week, yet the video shows strong signal with fluctuation. But like I said, it does this everywhere in my county. There are 6 transmitter sites as seen here but no matter where I am in relation to these, or what antenna I use, the end result is the same.

Phil @ W2lie.net took his br330t out around Suffolk county and he to experienced the same issue as me. So I know its not just my scanner. And like I said, my pro 93 and pro 95 broadcast this system pretty clear...

Being that its not just my scanner, and its not the Motorola system(clears as a bell on pro 95) I am not sure if there's any settings to play with or not.

I have had the voice channels as fm and nfm. CC only and all cc and voice channels. Motorola status bit on and off. Motorola end code on and off. I call on and off. The only thing that makes a difference is if I put att on, I can barely hear the system..

Suffolk County Site Details

System Name: Suffolk County
Site Location: Suffolk County, New York
Site Number Decimal: 001 / Hex: 1
Site NAC:N/A
Site Unique DB ID: 65
Rebanded: Yes
Site Description: Suffolk County
Site County Location: Suffolk
Site Neighbors: N/A
Site Location: Six-site simulcast system.
Site Connect Tone: None
Site Modulation: Mixed Mode
Site Notes: None
Latitude N 40.82111
Longitude W -72.91833
Range 45 Miles

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you simultaneously listen to the BR330T and PRO-93/95, is the static only on the BR330T?

I ask, because the static sounds almost like it is on the repeater side (but difficult to tell). In otherwords, the repeater is receiving a weak signal from an officer's radio and retransmitting the static.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
When you simultaneously listen to the BR330T and PRO-93/95, is the static only on the BR330T?

I ask, because the static sounds almost like it is on the repeater side (but difficult to tell). In otherwords, the repeater is receiving a weak signal from an officer's radio and retransmitting the static.

The scratchy static is only on the br330t. It is also when officer transmits, as well as headquarters transmitting.. And this county system is mostly police but there are bus company's on there as well and it happens with all transmissions on this system.

The pro 93,95 have a very slight hiss and they do this on conventional channels as well. But the conversation is at least understandable.

As far as the repeater receiving a weak signal and rebroadcasting it, this is a live feed of the scpd system and the static and scratchiness is not present on the live feed .

And lol, yes, I even tried the bar antenna on and off making no difference..

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have the same radio, same county, same system, same problem.

While stationary, the control channel signal strength moves up and down. I'm not using the factory antenna at all. Holding the H/H next to a PRO-106, I don't see the same problems on the RS/GRE. When hitting the scan button on the BR-300, the voice channel also seems to fluctuate on signal strength.

I always used this radio from an adjacent county, and never on an outdoor antenna, so I just assumed it was a location problem that I would deal with. Since this issue was brought up on my forum, I took the scanner with me to work in Suffolk County and did a "side-by-side". So, I too can rule out Location and Antenna. I believe this was also a problem in the pre-reband days.

Is there a "debug" menu in the BR330 so you can see the decode rate and actual signal strength? I don't recall being able to see that info with that radio.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I searched the web and cant find anything about a debug menu. I did find hidden key strokes but they don't look like much...Hopefully Paul knows of a debug in the radio..

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Totally reset scanner and reprogrammed the system. Same thing. I cant find anything on a debug for this radio either...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have the same radio, same county, same system, same problem.

While stationary, the control channel signal strength moves up and down. I'm not using the factory antenna at all. Holding the H/H next to a PRO-106, I don't see the same problems on the RS/GRE. When hitting the scan button on the BR-300, the voice channel also seems to fluctuate on signal strength.

I always used this radio from an adjacent county, and never on an outdoor antenna, so I just assumed it was a location problem that I would deal with. Since this issue was brought up on my forum, I took the scanner with me to work in Suffolk County and did a "side-by-side". So, I too can rule out Location and Antenna. I believe this was also a problem in the pre-reband days.

Is there a "debug" menu in the BR330 so you can see the decode rate and actual signal strength? I don't recall being able to see that info with that radio.

Bumping this up to the top...

Status
Not open for further replies.