BR330T vs. an oldie - Sony ICF-SC1PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

alins

A question for all:

How does the raw performance of the BR330T compare with the older Sony ICF-SC1PC? By performance I mean sensitivity, selectivity, immunity to interference and intermod, etc.

Admittedly this may not be a fair comparison; it may not even be a smart question, but then, I'm new and only beginning to learn. One radio (BR330T) is a trunking and full coverage scanner/receiver with lots of features. The other (Sony Wavehawk, ICF-SC1PC) cannot do trunking, but has full coverage receive and a lot less features. Both have selectable modulation/detection modes across their receive range.

Let's set aside the trunking issue. Which would be a better raw performer? I'm trying to decide between these two radios, and possibly the BCD396T (much more expensive!). I live in a large metro area.

While we're at it, let's add the Yupiteru MVT-7100 to the list too.

Any comments will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

BR330T compare with the older Sony ICF-SC1PC

I have both and the ICF-SC1 is more immune to interference on UHF mil band from images in the UHF TV band. The BR330T has just as good sensitivity and maybe a bit better. It is prone to some interference from UHF TV channels which is very frustrating using antennas with more gain than the stock antenna. I have no problem receiving mil air comms at air shows with the stock antenna, and receive a lot of mil air traffic near mil bases with it, but an 18 inch whip antenna picks up some interference on some channels from UHF TV. Not a lot!

The squelch and the audio quality on the Sony frustrates the heck out of me and I tend to use the BR330T for everything except distant comms neding an external antenna. I use the Sony for that.

trunker0205

there is one thing the Sony will do that not too many people are not aware of.The Wavehawk can be used as a communications reciever due to the fact you can program it to cover the 1Mhz to 30Mhz short wave bands.This is an added bonus and it works quite well. I am picking up WWV at 5-10-15Mhz with rubber duckie antenna,no to bad..

alins

trunker0205 said:
there is one thing the Sony will do that not too many people are not aware of.The Wavehawk can be used as a communications reciever due to the fact you can program it to cover the 1Mhz to 30Mhz short wave bands.This is an added bonus and it works quite well. I am picking up WWV at 5-10-15Mhz with rubber duckie antenna,no to bad..

Very true, but the Uniden BR330T also covers the shortwave bands via 5 kHz tuning however, not 1 kHz. Can the Sony tune in 1 kHz steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.