BR330T vs BC246T

Status
Not open for further replies.

VikezFan

I am wanting to buy a scanner with at least TrunkTracker III abilities. I was leaning towards the BC246T until I ran across the BR330T. The BR330T appears to have all of the functions of the BC246T with a much larger range of frequencies. I do not attend racing events, so any racing functions would be wasted. I realize that the BR330T has been discontinued, but unidendirect.com still sells it new.

I need any and all opinions on this. Also, if there is another model of scanner that would be better for me, let me know. I am wanting to spend about $250.00 or less, want TrunkTracker III abilities, want computer interface abilities, and the most frequencies I can get without giving up functionality. Thank you, in advance for your help on this.

Highpockets

I am wanting to buy a scanner with at least TrunkTracker III abilities. I was leaning towards the BC246T until I ran across the BR330T. The BR330T appears to have all of the functions of the BC246T with a much larger range of frequencies. I do not attend racing events, so any racing functions would be wasted. I realize that the BR330T has been discontinued, but unidendirect.com still sells it new.

I need any and all opinions on this. Also, if there is another model of scanner that would be better for me, let me know. I am wanting to spend about $250.00 or less, want TrunkTracker III abilities, want computer interface abilities, and the most frequencies I can get without giving up functionality. Thank you, in advance for your help on this.

Before you buy, look in the database here for the state, county, city, where you live and see if the frequencies and systems you want to listen to aren't digital, if they are you'll need a digital scanner. Or you can ask in your state forum if that scanner will ok for your area. Just a thought, allot of people go out and buy a scanner then find out their area is mostly digital. Good Luck with whatever you purchase.

Pain

I own both of these. As far as features and freq range the 330T has the 246T beat. The ability to receive regular broadcast stations on the 330T is nice too although I don't use it as much as I though I would since I have a nice little Sangean for that purpose. However if I plan to put one on my belt or in my pocket, the 246T is the one I grab. The 246T only takes 2 AA batteries while the 330T takes 3 batteries so the size and weight difference is felt if your going to carry it much. You would think that 3 batteries would last longer then 2, but this is not the case as they run about the same length of time. I think my 246T is slightly more sensitive to pick up marginal signals then the 330T too.

My advice is that if you plan to leave it on your desk then I would get the 330T and a really nice external antenna to make up for the slightly decreased sensitivity, but if you plan to take it on walks then get the 246T.

Last edited:

VikezFan

Digital Scanning Freqs.

The only digital freqs I can find in the database for here are an APCO 25 for a Statewide Interoperable Communication System used for statewide emergency disaster coordination. However, Trunktracker III is a definate must.

I plan on using my scanner mostly at home, but sometimes in my car. Maybe out of the car occasionally if at the lake or something. From what I get so far from what you have said, I am thinking the BR330T would be best. What would be a good antenna to put with it that would be easy to put up and take down (and cheap)?

Pain

The antenna is going to depend on the frequency as it needs to be tuned to a small range to work best. This is generally why people end up with more than one antenna; and then after you get tired of switching antennas around you end up with more than one scanner ;)

Antennas are independent of scanner model so look around the antenna forum to see what is best in the freq your interested in. BTW all the Uniden scanners come with crappy antennas that don't really receive anything particularly well so you should plan on replacing it immediately.

N8IAA

The only digital freqs I can find in the database for here are an APCO 25 for a Statewide Interoperable Communication System used for statewide emergency disaster coordination. However, Trunktracker III is a definate must.

I plan on using my scanner mostly at home, but sometimes in my car. Maybe out of the car occasionally if at the lake or something. From what I get so far from what you have said, I am thinking the BR330T would be best. What would be a good antenna to put with it that would be easy to put up and take down (and cheap)?

An antenna with a SMA connector is what the radio uses. Get it when you buy the radio. A good dualband ham ht antenna is generally wide enough to cover the frequencies you will be monitoring. Most handheld scanners are on the sensitive side, and don't need a lot of antenna to make them great receivers.
HTH,
Larry

JnglMassiv

What would be a good antenna to put with it that would be easy to put up and take down (and cheap)?
I'd buy the radio first. You might get great coverage right there at home already.

I have a 246 and wish I had the 330. For the lit keypad, if nothing else!

VikezFan

Sounds good!

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. Unless someone can come up with a good reason not to, I am going to order a new BR330T from unidendirect.com ($249.00) tomorrow. I will hold off on the antenna until I see how it acts around here.

Any chances there is cheap or free software around for uploading frequencies? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.