BR330T with remote head

Status
Not open for further replies.

manross

I just bought a remote head to go with my BR330T. I really don't have a convienant area to mount the scanner where I can turn it on/off. Is there a way to remotely turn it on and off?? Would it be bad (don't even know if it would work) to pull the batteries and switch the power to the scanner?? Any insight would be appreciated.

Marty

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I'm not sure if that would work on the 330, due to the way the power on/off switch is setup. I put an inline switch which cut power to both my BC996 and the remote head and that worked out real well.

n2mdk

There really is no way to do it with the handheld, since the switch is momentary every time power is switched off the switch on the radio needs to be held down. The manual also warns you not to unplug the AC adapter without batteries in the radio, it can cause memory problems. I image this is just as true for DC in as well.

manross

That's what I was thinking.... not good for it. Hmmm wouldn't be the first time I got into a scanner and did some micro surgery, I'm thinking a couple of coated micro wires off the on/off switch to a small plug on the side of scanner. Then just wire up a small extension switch....shouldn't be hard at all :twisted:

Marty

manross

torontokris said:
I think the in-line switch would be a idea that way you dont have to modify the actual scanner.

Well that would be the easiest if it was at all possible. I agree with Jerri, not a possiblity with the monetary switch that the 330/396 scanners use and also what the manual says on power off..... got my soldering iron warming up...:twisted:

n2mdk

How would an inline switch work if as I believe once power is cut to the scanner it turns itself off. The radio doesn't use a standard on/off switch, it's momentary. It works as a relay, meaning you need to hold the power switch down to turn it back on once power is cut.
Besides as I said the manual tells you not to cut power to the scanner without batteries in it to avoid possible disruption to the memory.

manross

n2mdk said:
There really is no way to do it with the handheld, since the switch is momentary every time power is switched off the switch on the radio needs to be held down. The manual also warns you not to unplug the AC adapter without batteries in the radio, it can cause memory problems. I image this is just as true for DC in as well.

Hey Jerri I'm going to mount a small plug for the external switch so I can remotely switch the power. I'll probably do this in a couple weeks after getting moved into my new house. If your interested also in doing it, I will take some pictures of my little project. There is more than enough room to put in a small plug. This is the only way of doing it that I can figure out. Any other ideas would be welcome...

Marty

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner will turn on/off with external power with no batteries in (i.e. if you leave the scanner turned on, remove power from the DC jack, then restore power to the DC jack, the scanner will turn on with no button presses).

Unless there is a serious issue with your vehicle's electrical system (which would likely affect other vehicle electronics), switching the scanner on/off by connecting it to a power source that turns on/off with the vehicle's ignition should be no problem. There are a few settings that do not get stored when the scanner is powered off externally (IIRC, backlight status is one) but this is generally not a big deal.

manross

From the horses mouth. Thank you Upman, you are such a valuable asset to this site. Just one more question on this. With the batteries out and having a switchable power source, does it matter what the battery switch is set to. Either alkaline or NI-MH? Probably doesn't matter, but thought I'd ask. Thanks again.

Marty

MarkEagleUSA

manross said:
With the batteries out and having a switchable power source, does it matter what the battery switch is set to. Either alkaline or NI-MH?
Setting it to Alkaline will disable the internal charging circuit.

manross

MarkEagleUSA said:
Setting it to Alkaline will disable the internal charging circuit.

After playing with it some more, your absolutely right. The scanner said it was charging, which of course it was not. :D Switched it to alkaline and there is no other charging report from the scanner.

Upman, one other thing. On the 330 does keeping the bar antenna activated cause any problems? I've had it activated for a few days now and don't see any problems.

Marty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.