brand new BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunostar

Premium Subscriber
new scanner since 1985. back then u put the numbers in and pressed saved. today, this new scanner, I tried to follow instructions to no avail. what is the best way and most inexpensive way to program this new scanner. I've seen the software but not sure what cable I need to hook between scanner and computer. i'm not a nerd nor a dummy when it comes to computers but i'm about ready to toss this scanner out the window.

brunostar

Premium Subscriber
Springfield, MO

don't know if it is improper or not, looking for a member in springfield mo that could assist me with this new uniden BCD396XT.

wtp

manual ?

you can do it by hand it does take a few steps but once you get the hang of it its not too bad.
and usually once it is in you are done. my girlfriend just listens to about 10 talkgroups. the rest are locked out. remember that these are computers that receive radio, that could explain a lot.

captclint

Mentor
what is the best way and most inexpensive way to program this new scanner. I've seen the software but not sure what cable I need to hook between scanner and computer. i'm not a nerd nor a dummy when it comes to computers but i'm about ready to toss this scanner out the window.
Best way is with software. FreeSCAN It allows a automatic download of any or all frequencies in your county and state from this site, and sets up trunking TGID's & para's(this is a big help) You would need to become a paid subscriber to this site to get the automatic down loads, but this is also very reasonable($7.5 for 3 months). This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration.
Here is info about the cables. Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki Let us know If you have Win8, because there are more specific suggestions.
If you want to do it manually, this is a much better manual. Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

No matter what you chose, you need to understand the new scanner organization: Uniden DMA

brunostar

Premium Subscriber
Thank you captclint, I do have a win 7 computer in the house, the rest are win 8.1. so it looks like my first step is to find a usb cable and then take the steps u recommend.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
According to a recent post by Upman, the USB-1 cables Uniden started shipping about a year ago have the Windows 8.1 compatible chipset.

When you get the cable it should come with some instructions on the downloading/installation of the driver for the cable. The driver needs to be installed before connecting the cable.

teufler

Welcome to the world of trying to understand what makes a 396xt tick. I'm sure there is someone in the Sprinfield area that can help but its not that hard to get started. As has been reported, Freescan is a good starting point. A usb to serial convertor works, or if you can find someone who has a computer with a seerial port, your existing shipped with the radio cable works. There are "monitors" who have come on line to post that are near the Rolla area. I have talked to an operator in the Joplin area .A for your radio, get used top the fact that you will program and program and program for weeks until you get it right for you. It can do so much with it that you will keep experimenting with coverage and systems monitored.

SCPD

QRT
I just programmed a 996xt. If you look on prolifics website there are Win 8 drivers for the USB-1 cable. Used my Win8.1 laptop and free scan. No issues at all.

teufler

Here is a Freescan file for Greene Count and the surrounding area. All TGPS are set in search mode rather than ID scan so when you are first checking the reception, you will have an idea of how far you can receive with your existing antenna system. The file is zipped , per Freescan's desire so you will need a Zip/unzip utility. I use 7-zip. You were looking for help. I did talk to a guy at Republic

Attachments

• springfield mo.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 51

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Don't give up on it. Go here to learn about your new scanner, it helped me:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual
-edit. Ah, I noticed someone already linked to that. Well, now you know it's highly recommend by several people. Lol.

I traveled to Springfield a few months ago. Their 800 MHz trunked system sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.