Brand New Grundig G2 Reporter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Thinking of getting a very basic sw set as a gift for son

Saw the brand new Grundig G2 Reporter ads.
Coming out in April, I think, for $145

Would appreciate any thoughts on.

Also, with all of these types of radios I keep asking myself how would one update the internal memory
(or micro SD card perhaps ?) for the two seasonal changes ?

Is it even possible ?

Can't find any links to a User Manual for it.
Anyone know of any; Universal did not, surprisingly.

Thanks,
Bob

SCPD

QRT
Also, with all of these types of radios I keep asking myself how would one update the internal memory (or micro SD card perhaps ?)

If you read the description it implies that the SD card is for recording audio only. The memories are likely just typical user-stored memory locations. You get 248 which is quite a lot.

The only thing is for this price you could easily get a SW portable with SSB capability -- which is where the action is at...

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of excitement on SW Broadcast radio (for a kid) these days.

For the price, the Grundig G6 isn't a bad buy. It also includes SSB and VHF Airband -- which might be far more exciting. :)

atombaum

western Finger Lakes region of New York state
Grundig "G2 Reporter" and "G6 Aviator"

There is a G2 Reporter Yahoo! group...
GrundigG2Reporter : Grundig "G2 Reporter" AM/FM/SW Recorder

The owner's manual is posted there in the Files section.

I have a G6 Aviator (Buzz Aldrin edition) that came as a promotional gift with a "Satellit 750" in 2010. I only just opened the G6 this month (August 2012) out of curiosity. It's a great little set with 700 memories (100 pages with 7 memories each) and has great audio, selectivity and senstivity. I can pick up a good selection of SW stations (WBCQ, Radio Habana, Radio China, Vietnam, Brother Stair [haha], and more - without problems). It has a backlit dial that can be turned on or off. Nice thumbwheel tuning dial, or search, or keypad entry. Both FM and broadcast band (AM) reception and audio were good.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
I liked my G6 too, it's AMAZING for such a teensy tiny lil rascal. I was pleasantly surprised with it, also a promo with a package deal w/Satellit 750.

Yep Nick's right about the "no excitement" factor so I'd get one with SSB for sure. At least that way the kid might get a kick out of listening in on amateurs (for about 5 minutes..) military traffic, CW might be fun to learn for some youngsters. The more possibilities it has the better, otherwise just receiving broadcast bands is going to get REAL dull real fast especially since there are practically so few left now. In my opinion a kid would want to listen to anything BUT b'cast stations.

Good luck I hope he learns to love the life long and fulfilling hobby of radio.

zl2taw

My son & I went halves in the Tecsun PL-660 which has SSB & airband

He is pretty happy with it, that could be another option for you

gpsblake

Haven't seen a single video on youtube about the G2, which tells me something right there.

I had a G6 and it was a great radio, except on mine LSB didn't work, only USB, It was also off by 2khz when tuning to USB. Shame they don't produce it anymore.

PL-660 a good shortwave radio with great USB and LSB. But it's a poor performer on AM and LW in my opinion.

wizardb

I have the Tecsun PL-660 and am very pleased with it. I just sold off several radios this week but kept the 660 for daily use. By the way, what will I do with the money I made from those sales--buy more radios of course. Drives my wife crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.