brand New Pro 197 added to collection

FCVPI99

so i found it on ebay and a paid now for it cuz it was such a good price ... the only thing that was not factory stock was the rubber band around the power supply everything else screws washers sticker feet even mounting bracket ect was in factory sealed ways ....made in April of 2009 number 5153 and shes a beautiful girl ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-05 095549.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 095549.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2024-10-05 095615.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-05 095615.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 45

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
so i found it on ebay and a paid now for it cuz it was such a good price ... the only thing that was not factory stock was the rubber band around the power supply everything else screws washers sticker feet even mounting bracket ect was in factory sealed ways ....made in April of 2009 number 5153 and shes a beautiful girl ...
A very vintage collection from yesteryear, I owned all of those great radios manufactured by GRE.

I assume that your area does not use p25 Phase ll simulcast😉.

Reactions: wtp

FCVPI99

A very vintage collection from yesteryear, I owned all of those great radios manufactured by GRE.

phase 2 is useless everything is encrypted and everything i wana hear, FD's is analog the 197 was a happy lil fluke the price was good enough to buy it ... still looking to add the Pro 2005 and Pro 2035 to the collection .. and then maybe a WS1098 or TRX2 or 1 .. the base unit ..

hill

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I got two of these models from my ham radio club that was selling from a silent key. One is car mostly doing conventional P25 like the air ground channels, Civil Air Patrol, and Marine/USCG LMR.

The other is my local PD precinct when my PRO-197 does fire.

I still have a use for these models while mostly monitor public safety when out and about with the G4/G5.

In closing glad my local county is still P25 Phase 1, since a few in this area are now P25 Phase 2.

FCVPI99

i really really do like all the extra settings you can do though the LED the alerts right down to the expert settings to make it pic up better

FCVPI99

Yea, I got two of these models from my ham radio club that was selling from a silent key. One is car mostly doing conventional P25 like the air ground channels, Civil Air Patrol, and Marine/USCG LMR.

The other is my local PD precinct when my PRO-197 does fire.

I still have a use for these models while mostly monitor public safety when out and about with the G4/G5.

In closing glad my local county is still P25 Phase 1, since a few in this area are now P25 Phase 2.
air is P25? i get it on my Pro 2004 and 2006's .. confused

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
air is P25? i get it on my Pro 2004 and 2006's .. confused
No, not all aircomms are p25 conventional but there is p25 digital conventional aeronautic use, the area that I know would be USFS and DOI fire service. I live by the water and also the US Coast Guard uses p25 digital conventional VHF and UHF regularly, big advantage is it can be encrypted arbitrarily when needed.

I can understand not needing P2 secondary to encryption, my entire region is P2 encrypted but police only, fire is only part-time encryption and rarely used so the P2 comes in handy.

I picked up four of those 197's when RatShack went belly up under $200 a piece. Never opened the boxes, just waited for Whistler to jack up the price of what was an obsolete radio then and turned them around at a nice profit.

Love your pro 2004, I remember getting one when they first came out, terrific modifications that are irrelevant now unless I guess, you wanted to speed up your scanning. That series from GRE were terrific radios in pre trunking days.👍

hill

Premium Subscriber

FCVPI99

No, not all aircomms are p25 conventional but there is p25 digital conventional aeronautic use, the area that I know would be USFS and DOI fire service. I live by the water and also the US Coast Guard uses p25 digital conventional VHF and UHF regularly, big advantage is it can be encrypted arbitrarily when needed.

I can understand not needing P2 secondary to encryption, my entire region is P2 encrypted but police only, fire is only part-time encryption and rarely used so the P2 comes in handy.

I picked up four of those 197's when RatShack went belly up under $200 a piece. Never opened the boxes, just waited for Whistler to jack up the price of what was an obsolete radio then and turned them around at a nice profit.

Love your pro 2004, I remember getting one when they first came out, terrific modifications that are irrelevant now unless I guess, you wanted to speed up your scanning. That series from GRE were terrific radios in pre trunking days.👍
2004 you can add 100 channels also ... with the speed mod it turns it into a pro 2006

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!

I was also looking for the 197's at Rat Shack Fire sale, but since there was none I was able to pickup a few Pro 668's that were marked at $99.99. Sold most for profit like yourself and kept one from the bunch. Eventually it was sold too for more than the first 5.