SDS100/SDS200: brand new SDS100 backlight issue?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I was told that all the dealer get from the same distributor.

There are multiple distributors. They generally sell to dealers in the same area. No, I do not have a list of the distributors or their locations.

thegmaniac

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha. Listen this is not me bashing you. I appreciate your transparency. I have spent a lot of money over the past month shipping these units back because of the display issue. I’m not doing this because I have nothing better to do. I just see a lot of people with this issue and don’t understand why they don’t pull it until it’s fixed. Maybe they just have so many units they need to get rid of. I dunno. It’s a shame though.

thegmaniac

Premium Subscriber
From the same dealer?
Let me ask you as this just hit me.

the units for the most part work fine for a day or so before the screen does the dimming.

could it be caused by unlatching the battery every 6 hours to change batteries that’s knocking something loose on the display that is already misaligned? I’m just throwing this out there.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Let me ask you as this just hit me.

the units for the most part work fine for a day or so before the screen does the dimming.

could it be caused by unlatching the battery every 6 hours to change batteries that’s knocking something loose on the display that is already misaligned? I’m just throwing this out there.

That is possible. I will pass that info on to the engineers.

So you are saying all the units you had did not initially have the issue, but developed it after a day or two?

thegmaniac

Premium Subscriber
Not all but most my friend. It just smacked me thinking that the clip can be hard to get off so maybe it misaligns the screen even more.

thegmaniac

Premium Subscriber
@Joe
That is possible. I will pass that info on to the engineers.

So you are saying all the units you had did not initially have the issue, but developed it after a day or two?
just got my 6th radio and the display is the worst! Showed my 78 y/o mom and asked her she said yep brighter on bottom.

I’m done bro. I have spent so much on shipping it’s not even fair.

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Why not order another one and use it as-is, and get the enjoyment out of it?

Since you obviously like it, while not completely, you should be able to get used to it, and depending on what time of day or night you intend to use it, it may not be that noticeable anyway.

I'm extremely picky and wouldn't necessarily like it either, but if I wanted one as bad as you seem to, I'd figure out a way live with it.

thegmaniac

Premium Subscriber
Why not order another one and use it as-is, and get the enjoyment out of it?

Since you obviously like it, while not completely, you should be able to get used to it, and depending on what time of day or night you intend to use it, it may not be that noticeable anyway.

I'm extremely picky and wouldn't like it either, but if I wanted one as bad as you seem to, I'd figure out a way live with it.
I wish I had your attitude. It’s principle my friend.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I wish I had your attitude. It’s principle my friend.

Do you use the scanner mobile (as a portable) or while sitting at your desk ? If you are using it as a portable I know personally while using mine it can be a real PITA to see the screen at all due to the colors, I tend to use the B/W mode to make it more readable with sunlight glare. If using it home on the desk near your computer, the remote display on Proscan is very nice and larger.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
I have the same issue. Bottom part of the display is brighter than the rest. It is possible to fix ourselves, or is there something that the Mothership has to do?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
It's an alignment issue. Some more experienced users may be able to adjust it.

As for the clip being hard to open, it sounds like you are not pressing in on the battery cover to relieve some of the pressure. Unless you start doing that your next complaint will be about a broken battery cover clip. I made the same mistake too. Since I learned how to properly open it, I have not had any more broken clips. Another tip: don't press on the middle of the clip when closing it - press on the end where it closes. And again, press in on the battery cover to relieve some of the strain.