• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Brand new to Radio - looking for a source for procedure & etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurchie

Greetings! I just got my GMRS license and am planning to get my HAM Technician license in the next few months. I've scanned over the FCC guidelines, but was wondering if there is a good, clearly written reference for an absolute noob to learn procedures and etiquette for transmissions on GMRS and HAM radio. It seems that there's a LOT of confusion around how you are required to identify (or not) when transmitting on GMRS frequencies.
I'd also be interested in a good introduction to HAM radio reference. I understand that the license is basically an exercise in memorization, but I'd like to learn a little (just enough to be dangerous) of the science behind it.
Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Hans13

GMRS identification is pretty simple. If you are operating an FRS radio (simplex, 2W or less on designated channels, 0.5W or less on designated channels, proper type accepted radio), there is no need to identify as you are operating under license by rule (no call sign, no individual license). If you are operating a GMRS radio (simplex or repeater, proper wattage, proper type accepted radio), you identify every 15 minutes or less and at the end of a conversation (i.e. when you are done and about to sign off). Usually, on a repeater, people will identify after the repeater identifies (if it is doing so) as it is usually set for 10 ~ 15 minute intervals; similar is true for amateur radio (10 minute intervals).

bharvey2

As Hans13 points out, it's pretty simple: Every 15 minutes and at the end of transmission for GMRS and drop down to 10 minute intervals for ham. Etiquette is simple too; mainly like you'd speak in person: Don't interrupt unless you have a real emergency, don't monopolize the conversation and use plain language. Keep the "lingo" to a minimum. Also, it's usually a good idea to wait a second after keying up before speaking especially on a repeater so that your first word or two doesn't get cut of before the radios or repeaters have time to react.

Firekite

Please remember to keep your word choices and topics G-rated. I can curse like a sailor sometimes, and sometimes things slip out, but I try to keep it clean as a matter of etiquette as much as to follow the rules.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Find a local ham club for help. A good "Elmer" (experienced ham) can help you make the right choices. Listening to conversations can also help guide you. If you are a former CBer (many hams are), you will want to forget some of the terms in exchange for good ham ettiquete.

lu81fitter

Along with the proper IDing and good G-rated speech, also use the proper technique when holding your mic to talk. It seems pretty basic, but I believe its one of the most misunderstood things. Holding a mic about 8 inches from your mouth and talking in a normal tone is probably optimum. Many just don't follow this for some unknown reason.

n5ims

One of the best ways to learn how are expected to act on a repeater (or simplex channel for that matter) is to listen for a good while and find out the normal for it (often one repeater group will act quite a bit different than another, even in the same town). Also listen for when they have nets and how folks are during them (often a net is much more formal than during regular operation). By listening first you'll find out many things such as are they friendly to new arrivals (many are, but some just want to talk to the same people they've talked with for the last 25 years), some allow Q signals, "CB" 10 codes, and other jargon while on others it's like a death sentence, some repeaters may have special functions (e.g. ARES/RACES, wide-area linking, and the like) and may or may not like other uses.

When you first start out (or first start out in a new area, repeater, etc.) it may be a good idea to let folks know that you've just been licensed or just arrived in the area. Often this will help cut you a break when you don't do everything correctly (in their minds) and will help guide you along. Many folks actually enjoy talking to a new operator and welcome you to the hobby (and will most likely invite you to join a local club or upcoming activity). Going to a club meeting or activity is a really good idea since you'll get to meet the folks in person so you're no longer just somebody new on the radio but "Joe from the lunch" and more easily become part of the group.

sloop

Good for you "Lurchie" in wanting to know more than memorization of the answers. It is a shame that amateur radio was "sold out" several years back when the procedure to obtaining a license was demoted to rote memorization of the answers without any knowledge of the nature of radio communications. My advise is to find a ham club that teaches the licensing classes and the theory behind the questions. Its a shame that people can get their Extra class license without ever having transmitted or knowing what a resistor looks like. Good luck.

Whiskey3JMC

Keep your friends close & your radios closer
Premium Subscriber
You mean this one? A cess pool of the exact opposite of everything in both the FCC rules and basic etiquette?

Listening now I'm hearing a few "operators" CUCKOO-ing, singing and whistling, sounds like kids (and some adults) horsing around with radios. This is an amateur radio repeater??? Sounds more like CB. Far from a text book example of proper "repeater etiquette". The water drop courtesy tone is quite interesting

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.