Brand new to scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRayJ

Hello all, my 1st post, and a few questions to ask, im intrested in Radio scanning, and mainly Avation, now is it possible for me to buy a ICOM IC-R5 or a Alinco DJ-X3 HandheldS, and use that from my home to pick up my local airports communications? does any body have a good place to start? as i stated i am completly new to scanning and am not sure if i would need a "base station?" or can i use a handheld reciver? will the hand held reciver have the range required to pick up the signal?
i am willing to spend up to £150 on my 1st scanner if any one would be willing to give me a push in the right direction.
thanks.

bobmich52

You Might Have a Better Response If You Post In The Aviation Forum.

Welcome To Scanning, You will Enjoy It.

Have Been At It Since I Was 12, 10 Channel Regency Crystal Scanner Was My 1st Radio

Shows How Old I Am!

stevie621

I can't find your location but you did mention pounds for money so I would say you are in the UK. A good place to learn all about scanning is on this site. It is called the wiki. There is a lot of good reading over there.

McRayJ

Yes im From the Uk, ill have a good read around, see what i can find, but id like to buy a scanner 1st to jump in feet first :D

davidd2957

McRayJ said:
Hello all, my 1st post, and a few questions to ask, im intrested in Radio scanning, and mainly Avation, now is it possible for me to buy a ICOM IC-R5 or a Alinco DJ-X3 HandheldS, and use that from my home to pick up my local airports communications?

Hey McRayJ...welcome to RR.com. You might also check the ICOM Forum as well as the "ALL OTHERS" receiver Forum. Welcome to the Scanning World.
David D.

McRayJ

Hello again, i hear a lot of good word about the PRO-97, is this suitable for a beginner like myself? this seems popular and effective choise would you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.