Brand-New Uniden SDS200 Scanner for $640.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I was doing some research for a friend and found a decent deal (IMHO) on a brand-new SDS200 scanner on eBay for $640.00 and that price includes FREE shipping (FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery). These units are brand-new (NOT refurbished) with the full US warranty per the full item description on eBay. There are currently 9 SDS200 units available from the seller and their location is Memphis, Tennessee USA. The $640.00 price is approximately 8.5% lower than the regularly advertised selling price of $699.99.

This eBay seller, gear4less, is a "Top Rated Plus" eBay seller with 65,968 eBay sales with 100% positive feedback. In addition (for those of you worried about the return policy) the seller offers FREE 30-day returns (money back or replacement-buyer's choice) and the SELLER pays for return shipping. You are also covered by the "eBay Money Back Guarantee" if what you receive is not what you ordered.

If you want one of the 9 SDS200 scanners that are currently available for $640.00, here's the direct link: Uniden SDS200 True I/Q and trade TrunkTracker X Base or Mobile Digital Scanner | eBay

Xray

Quite a pitch, was a thread about this last week. I would say, good luck with any warranty service buying through an unauthorized dealer. Maybe I'm missing something, why would Uniden honor a warranty from an unauthorized dealer selling alleged new units and selling below price ?

Chronic

Warranty will be honored, not one case of it being refused has been posted.

Warranty isn't that big of a deal anyway, it's unlikely to be needed. Even with a few problems reported here, most users will never use the warranty.

Many SDS have been sent in for warranty repair multiple times , so i dont think "Unlikely" is realistic.

Xray

I agree odds are in buyers favor [when buying a NEW unit from an authorized dealer], but no sense in pulling stats out of the air.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Out of 10000 or more, a dozen or two. The odds are definitely in your favor.

Where do you get the "dozen or two" number from? Are you basing that solely on reports here? I'd bet that the majority of buyers are not Radio Reference members so we really have no idea how many may or may not have issues.

I'm not saying it's dozens, hundreds or whatever, it's just that we have no idea about issues except for what is reported here.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
From reports here. And you are right, that isn't every scanner owner out there. But I still think the odds are heavily in favor of getting a scanner that isn't going to require multiple trips to repair.

Hit_Factor

If there was a widespread problem there would be some kind repair campaign, recall, or stop sales to stop the bleeding.

Of course, I have no idea how many SDS200 have been returned or sold, I don't think anyone here knows (except for Uniden). Does anyone know of a refusal to honor warranty due to who sold the scanner?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
This is the way I see it. At $640.00 your savings are about $60.00, and the cost of out of warranty repair is about 95.00. So you'll save $60.00 the first year or have to come up with $35.00 more. The seller has 100% feedback with thousands of sales.
No worries here.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
This is the way I see it. At $640.00 your savings are about $60.00, and the cost of out of warranty repair is about 95.00. So you'll save $60.00 the first year or have to come up with $35.00 more.

Upman told us a long time ago that there is no such thing as an "authorized seller" so if you buy one new it has a one-year warranty.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Upman told us a long time ago that there is no such thing as an "authorized seller" so if you buy one new it has a one-year warranty.
For reference:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It was also said that there are indeed authorized dealers:

Last edited:

trp2525

FYI there is an eBay coupon code available for use to targeted eBay members that will lower the price of the SDS200 by an additional $50.00 bringing the price (including shipping) down to $590.00. The coupon code is HAPPYTEN (expires on 03-20-2020) and it gives you 10% off your eBay cart of $100+ up to a maximum discount of $50.

As an experiment I just added the SDS200 scanner to my eBay cart and added the HAPPYTEN coupon on the checkout page and it did in fact take the extra $50 off which brought the price of the scanner down to $590.00. YMMV as eBay states that this is a targeted coupon which may or may not work with your own personal eBay account.

Xray

Ok so it looks like we have established that Uniden does indeed distribute their wares via authorized dealers, and it appears very unlikely that they would honor a warranty from an unauthorized dealer who is undercutting their pricing structure.
The conversation would go somewhat like this:

Hello Uniden, I have a radio still under warranty that needs service
Ok, we will need the date of purchase and the vendor please
Sure, date was 3/10/20 and the vendor calls himself gearless4life from ebay, hes got great feedback !
Hello ?? Uniden ? Hello ?!?! Are you still there ?? Uniden ,,,, ??

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
For reference:

It was also said that there are indeed authorized dealers:

So....do they or don't they??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Xray

The late great UPMan said on July 29 2018

"We do not have an "authorized dealer" program. We sell to distributors. Distributors sell to retailers."

And said on June 6 2018:
"Only Authorized Dealers have access to sell the SDS100. " [presumably the 200 as well]

I had thought he made the 1st comment years ago but in fact is slightly more recent than the 2nd, so nothing has really been "established" as I had cl,aimed. I reckon it would take a Uniden rep [or established dealer] to clear this up once and for all.
Offhand, it would seem impossible for them not to use authorized dealers, if they didn't then how would they lock in the pricing like they do ?

Hit_Factor

Ok so it looks like we have established that Uniden does indeed distribute their wares via authorized dealers, and it appears very unlikely that they would honor a warranty from an unauthorized dealer who is undercutting their pricing structure.
The conversation would go somewhat like this:

Hello Uniden, I have a radio still under warranty that needs service
Ok, we will need the date of purchase and the vendor please
Sure, date was 3/10/20 and the vendor calls himself gearless4life from ebay, hes got great feedback !
Hello ?? Uniden ? Hello ?!?! Are you still there ?? Uniden ,,,, ??
But it never has, no one has reported a problem receiving warranty service.

Status
Not open for further replies.