Brazil? Didn't know where to post this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

udubhill

I'm traveling through Brazil for 2.5 months and am wondering if it would be wise to get walkie talkies for me and my friend because if we get separated we're pretty much screwed. What is the best, cheapest, 2-way radio that will work well in S. America. I don't think I'll need more than a 5-mile rage. Sorry this is so out of place but someone reccomended this would be a good site to ask this question on and MX is as close to Brazil as I could find...

Auren

Well any FRS (Family Radio Service) walkie talkie which they sell in any radio shack or circuit city. The are youre best option, just check the power some are 500mw and reach like 2 milies LOS (line of sight) some have more power output but are GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) I am not sure if you need a license for those, but they cover the FRS frequencies as well.

rickey456

These are seen and used all over Mexico. They have replaced the marine band radios which used to be used [in non-marine and unlicensed situations]. I've seen them used in restaurants, hotels, condos and jewelry shops.

DickH

udubhill said:
What is the best, cheapest, 2-way radio that will work well in S. America. ...

Any radio will work in Brazil just as well as it will work in Japan or Zambia or the U.S.
A more important question is will it work legally. Some foreign countries can be really nasty about things like that. You had better call the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate and ask them. They might not even care, but it's better to know for sure.
Even if you don't need a license for a particular radio here (U.S.) it may not be allowed at all there.
Remember, freedom and personal rights are not in the vocabularies of many countries.

gabrielddc

Brazil

Hi!
It´s a old post but can help someone who will travel to Brazil.
I live in Brazil and I can tell you:
You can use any Motorola TalkAbout models here, It´s legal. Depends on witch city you will travel, It will not work with a long range.
If you have Nextel radios, it will works great like in USA in the major cities like São Paulo, Rio de janeiro and other.
I hope it can help someone.
Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.