Breaking News Revisited!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mpg0515

That makes a whole lot of sense closing that thread or should I say completely erasing it. This site is starting to become a joke. The moderators should be replaced by better people!

Who gives a crap if breaking news is posted on here! Give me a break.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Mike, the thread began on misunderstood information, and was deleted to stop it from becoming a bigger mess.

M

mpg0515

abqscan said:
Mike, the thread began on misunderstood information, and was deleted to stop it from becoming a bigger mess.

Ok, I apologize, I guess you can delete this thread then too.

Scan-Denver

mpg0515 said:
That makes a whole lot of sense closing that thread or should I say completely erasing it. This site is starting to become a joke. The moderators should be replaced by better people!

Who gives a crap if breaking news is posted on here! Give me a break.
Obviously there are those who do give a crap, if you don't like it - you don't have to read it !

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The Moderators were looking at different avenue's to support breaking events instead of posting them over and over again in the Forums. The fourms are not the best medium for this type if info. Jim's MMN is the best means for this. Everyone who subscribes to his service gets notified right away. I feel that we can still talk about events here, but not update everthing thats going on with the specific event. It wastes a lot of bandwith having hundreds of people reloading the same page over and over again to see whats going on. Heck, if you want to know whats going on turn on your scanner, or if its beyond your reach to monitor, there are plenty of online feeds statewide for anyone to listen in...

M

mpg0515

Scan-Denver said:
Obviously there are those who do give a crap, if you don't like it - you don't have to read it !

I worded that wrong. I am saying that I don't think that things should change at all. I am all for being informed about what is going on. i.e breaking news etc.

The thing that made me mad is the fact that moderation just erases threads without warning such as Jim's first thread about this. I do however understand that this has become a big mess and that erasing the original thread was the wise thing to do.

Sorry for the confusion, I just feel that the support that this website is given, members should be able to post whatever they want (within reason)

STiMULi

It would seem like a better idea to have another resource setup first along with an advisement of considerable notification.

Scan-Denver

mpg0515 said:
I worded that wrong. I am saying that I don't think that things should change at all. I am all for being informed about what is going on. i.e breaking news etc.

The thing that made me mad is the fact that moderation just erases threads without warning such as Jim's first thread about this. I do however understand that this has become a big mess and that erasing the original thread was the wise thing to do.

Sorry for the confusion, I just feel that the support that this website is given, members should be able to post whatever they want (within reason)
I too apologize for my words as I got caught up in frustration over this.

I guess change is inevitable and you either deal with it or move on.

I hope this decision will be re-considered for those of us who do enjoy breaking events alerts and updates.

If not, I would like to invite all those interested in discussing alternatives on my web site forum, the link is as follows... http://snnet.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=746&forum=5

Jim's service sounds like a great way to go for me. Mountain News, I'm always on the go. Just cant receive Denver or Aurora but only 5 min drive and can receive them.

Wow, I'm glad I read this now and not earlier and had the opportunity to digest the feedback. Erik's comments make sense from the perspective of managing this thread. You cannot fault him for his obvious desire to do something that is best for the group and the site. It is obvious this is not a site that anyone can post anything they want. It is bigger than that, to say the least, as evidenced, by common sense, that this discussion will continue and solutions developed and implemented. This site is the best, and I am personally glad it is being managed, even if an occasional bump in the road.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

Please bear with us as we evolve the site.

I made it clear to the moderators that I didn't believe that the spirit and intention of the forums was to convey breaking news information, including play by play updates. The platform doesn't lend itself to be this kind of medium for communicating breaking news.

I am actively looking at solutions that will provide the members of radioreference.com the ability to communicate breaking news information together, such as in a set of realtime chat rooms or other mechanisms.

Please remember that the name of this site is "RadioReference.com" - it never was intended to support or provide the management of breaking news.

For those of you that indicate you are not going to support this site because of some policy changes or clarifications - well then, I don't know what to say to you. We are doing our best here to accomidate everyones wants and needs, and sometimes their demands.

Jim, you are significant supporter of this site, and I recognize this is an issue for you. Please be patient with us as we investigate other alternatives to breaking news reporting and how we might support radioreference.com members in those efforts.

Finally, ANYONE that critizes the moderators around here is treading on thin ice. If you have a problem with a moderator, you can take it to me. Some of you spend more time critizing the site and management, then you do actually supporting and participating.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Lindsay and we welcome all your efforts on this topic and I certainly will support the decisions that are made.

Jim<

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Team,

I've setup a beta test of a chat server for you guys to take a look at and provide feedback. Currently, the free version of this chat server/client is supported through ads, however if this piece of software is useful and serves a great purpose, then I will purchase it and implement (no ads, integration with RR user database etc).

Please head on over to:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Chat

Since you guys are very active in the breaking news stuff, let's see how well this might work.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
blantonl said:
I am actively looking at solutions that will provide the members of radioreference.com the ability to communicate breaking news information together, such as in a set of realtime chat rooms or other mechanisms.

Now thats what I call ACTIVE! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.