Breaking News Revisited!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
blantonl said:
Team,

I've setup a beta test of a chat server for you guys to take a look at and provide feedback. Currently, the free version of this chat server/client is supported through ads, however if this piece of software is useful and serves a great purpose, then I will purchase it and implement (no ads, integration with RR user database etc).

Please head on over to:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Chat

Since you guys are very active in the breaking news stuff, let's see how well this might work.

I will be happy to give it a look but can almost promise that I will be unable to commit my breaking news to another site and or additional software. Already participate in too many yahoo groups, radio reference actively, not forgetting the president and founder of an incident paging system that now has over 500 members, at least 3 IM's accounts are logged on almost 24/7 and then I also try to work two other real jobs at times. If anything I'm looking to lessen the amount of places I post not increase it.

Speaking of IM, it has worked wonderfully for those of us who use it to share breaking news.

Jim<

RISC777

blantonl said:
Team,

I've setup a beta test of a chat server for you guys to take a look at and provide feedback. Currently, the free version of this chat server/client is supported through ads, however if this piece of software is useful and serves a great purpose, then I will purchase it and implement (no ads, integration with RR user database etc).

Please head on over to:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=Chat

Since you guys are very active in the breaking news stuff, let's see how well this might work.

Lindsay, Good idea. It works well.

cstockmyer

It's a good idea, except most of the action won't last long enough to get everyone to the chat room to read it. But it's a start!

luke-1

I just got home from work to see this thread. At first I was shocked and upset. I apologize to everyone if my "Flood Warning" breaking news was the last straw. It looks as though there might have been one after that got removed, I'm not sure. I spend a lot of time on this site, quite honestly, looking for breaking news so I can tune in to something I may be missing. I also use it for looking back at things I did miss, something that is not very easy in live chat rooms.

It is too bad that we will probably not be able to do this in the forums anymore, however I do, and will respect any decisions made by Lindsay concerning this site.

I have to agree with Jim on the fact that I will probably stick to I/M for breaking news also.

Luke

M

mpg0515

What a day

luke-1 said:
I just got home from work to see this thread. At first I was shocked and upset. I apologize to everyone if my "Flood Warning" breaking news was the last straw. It looks as though there might have been one after that got removed, I'm not sure. I spend a lot of time on this site, quite honestly, looking for breaking news so I can tune in to something I may be missing. I also use it for looking back at things I did miss, something that is not very easy in live chat rooms.

It is too bad that we will probably not be able to do this in the forums anymore, however I do, and will respect any decisions made by Lindsay concerning this site.

I have to agree with Jim on the fact that I will probably stick to I/M for breaking news also.

Luke

Luke, you did miss some things that went on early in the day. Basically, Jim posted that he was asked not to post any further "breaking news" events. You probably have already read the reasons why, from the moderators. Just thought that I would fill you in. At times today I think that tensions were very high and things were said that shouldn't have been. That is over now though..... I think that Lindsay is on the right track for RadioReference to have the IM type of service, but could use some fine tuning..... Right now I am not sure what could be done to make the "IM" better. It is a great idea! I will continue to support this great website, it is just frustrating as mentioned earlier when things all of a sudden change that you are used to. Then again, I do not own this site and I as well have full support of what Lindsay decides to do.

cstockmyer

I maybe the only one, but that chat software really slows my computer down. Also who's going to make sure people don't go into chat and start stuff with other members? It happens sometimes in the forms right? Don't take this as me putting down the chat room idea, I think it's good, just maybe not for breaking news. But that's just me and my thoughts.

luke-1

It actually seems to work pretty good

There is even a phone number, so you can talk to anyone else who is in the room

Could work

Luke

cstockmyer

luke-1 said:
It actually seems to work pretty good

There is even a phone number, so you can talk to anyone else who is in the room

Could work

Luke

The phone number is like a party line, we would all have to call in and talk on the voice line. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the online chat..I could be wrong though.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
It's the scanner listeners out there who are the ones with the first hand information as it comes over the radio. I can say this is definitely true for news media as well.

I think it would be a novel idea to have a section on the home page of this site with all the states in a small window. One could click on a state in this window such as Colorado and a drop down list from that state appears showing the latest breaking news. For instance, if there was a high speed chase in Denver and Jim posted it as "High speed chase in Denver" this would appear has the topic in the drop down list stemming from Colorado.

I don't know what they call it in the HTML code. Have you seen a list with little arrows by each listing and you can scroll over each and a drop down list appears or you can click on the listing and a drop down list appears. I recognize that in order for the listing to auto drop down Java probably would have to be used. However, just a click on the listing (state) and the breaking news titles could appear. I think this is a Java script idea.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Yes :lol: it's funny that I described the arrows quit well!

boxscroll.jpg

Except this would be in a small box with a list type display of the named states.

I don't use IPN myself. I use others who use IPN. :lol: Freinds

Last edited:

evilklown

I missed it all to!!!

Well i missed all the excitment but i am glad it looks to be getting better. i just wanted to give a little support to Jim for his awsome breaking news as well as everyone else. The first thing i do when i get on my computer is go to RR and check out all the news and whats going on here. i think it is awsome, not only do people get exellent help from t he colorado fourm they also get the breaking news as it is happing. I hope something as good as the fourm can be made up from RR. I was glad to see them on our side and try to help and get something going. Also is there going to be updates on the progress of whats going with it so we can get to the news?

Ters_Guy

I guess change is always good and therefore i cannot say anything bad about the overall change and i will have to agree, it is all about patience and giving all this a chance, it is new of course and everyone needs to find that comfort zone and like the scan colorado site, if there is an issue there always seems to be someone that is always available to answer questions. You know previously when we had the admin box well what if, say for instance, we hear some sort of radio traffic we would like to post, where do we do that again? Can we do it here or where can we do that? Thanks for any info and hey, i am still feeling this out too!!! Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.