Breaking News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris7

I live in Charlotte County, FL and have a police and fire scanner. I don't understand why when I hear of a breaking news incident it's not reported in the news either by newspaper or TV.

KB7MIB

It could be that either:

1) the radio/TV station(s) and newspaper(s) didn't know about it for one reason or another (they don't have scanner(s), or they weren't listening at that moment, or the scanner(s) were stopped on another channel, and no one from the agency in question volunteered the info about a particular incident, etc);

or, 2) they decided to wait and see how it developed, before breaking into TV programming in the case of TV stations, or the situation was resolved before any reporters could get on scene with cameras, etc., and other stories were deemed more important to the majority of their audience/subscribers, so they went with those instead of the one you happened to hear about on your scanner.

John
Peoria, AZ

teufler

Sometimes the city doesn't like news that is not fit to print. If the newspapers want city access, they are forced to go by their rules. Some news is not conducive to a cities image. So for us with scanners, we can get the whole news, the news that not fit to be printred. and sometimes the news just misses the publications schedulers and by the next day, its old news and forgotten.

JoeyC

It could be that either:

1) the radio/TV station(s) and newspaper(s) didn't know about it for one reason or another (they don't have scanner(s), or they weren't listening at that moment, or the scanner(s) were stopped on another channel, and no one from the agency in question volunteered the info about a particular incident, etc);

or, 2) they decided to wait and see how it developed, before breaking into TV programming in the case of TV stations, or the situation was resolved before any reporters could get on scene with cameras, etc., and other stories were deemed more important to the majority of their audience/subscribers, so they went with those instead of the one you happened to hear about on your scanner.

John
Peoria, AZ

3.) The adrenaline rush that some scanner listeners get while listening to what is often daily or routine occurences to first responders, is not really news.

danieldad

When I was Chief of Operations of our City's EMS, & subsequently an officer in NYC*EMS (pre merger ), we had very very specific guidelines to follow, if & when the media would contact us regarding 'certain' incidents & events. While assigned to a position as a public affairs officer in the Bronx, I had extremely detailed guidelines for the dissemination of information about an incident, - as per our Ops guide, & the Mayor's office, - as to the degree of info that was permitted to be released to media. ... & now, of course, there's hippa, -which completely defines what kind of material can be released to anyone.
And, frankly, as was previously pointed out, -- sooo many of the incidents & "news-worthy" calls that a casual civilian might be jumping about, ..... really is just 'another day on the job', - & all I wanna do, is to "do the right thing" , & go home at the end of my tour.

DJ11DLN

What the OP describes is one of the reasons I scan, and has been right from the start back in the early '70s: All that interesting stuff that should, but doesn't, make the news. Also the slightly less-interesting stuff that wouldn't make the news under any circumstances but is interesting to me anyway.

Mainstream news media, local or national, is, by and large, pretty lame these days. They largely forego "real news" for sensationalized fluff that is designed to improve ratings and market share, rather than inform. When they do cover major events, they edit out so much of the details that we're left scratching our heads after they move on to the next "rescued kitten/puppy" story. And most of the viewing public would choke if they had to endure very much of the "real" stuff. Such is the sad state of things today. But it gives me ongoing justification for having scanners, besides all the fun I have with them discovering stuff and hearing non-news info.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.